Corals not looking good, w/ pics

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cpandrewschmidt, Jan 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Hi all,
    The last few days my corals have not looked good. You can see in the pics. I checked all my levels and they are just fine. Everything where it should be. I did't a 20% water change but it didn't seem to help. All three are fairly new about a month on the zoo and bubble, and 2 weeks on the Frogspawn. I have started adding calcuim to get my levels up. It was about 260 last time I took some water to the LFS should be a little higher now, my test kit sucks and doesn't give me accurate readings. I just don't understand with everything where it should be these aren't opening up. Any ideas? Thanks.

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=cpandrewschmidt/Tank_001.jpg

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=cpandrewschmidt/DSC03998.JPG

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=cpandrewschmidt/Tank_006.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

This looks like a very new tank to me. Right? I would check your nitrates. What are your lights on these?
    I might add some iodide....just a little like half of a cap. If you can test first. I recomend dripping Kalkwasser in your tank. It will take care of your Alk and Cal and will also make the lps corals open way up. It also help deplete Phosphates. How are your powerheads aimed? They like current that has bounced off of rocks or the glass, called laminar currents I think. I am no expert but my lsp are doing great but this may be luck. Anyone else help here?

Jay

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

If you have a sponge in your canister I would take it out. I have almost exactly the same setup as you and have found that the nitrates will just climb without changing that round filter sponge in your magnum 350. I just use mine for carbon. Your rocks will take care of alot and your skimmer will help too. Invest in a kent IV drip for Kalk if you have the funds.

Jay

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Apart from what Jay has suggested, how do the clownfish react with the coral?

John

6. cpandrewschmidt

I am using B-Ionic 2 part system for my calcium, add some daily. The whole tank is about 6 months old now. Iodine I use Kent Marine Lugol's Solution (supposidly very powerful) I'll add some more tonight if you think I should. It says only a drop per week on the instructions. My powerheads are bouning pretty well off the walls, i keep an eye for better adjustments. What is Kalkwasser, is it different than the B-Ionic? Thanks for responding :)

Andrew

7. cpandrewschmidt

The clownfish haven't touched them yet, and they won't look at the annemone which is really small and also doesn't look good :'(

8. Click Here!

9. cpandrewschmidt

Jay, so should I just not run the filter? If I take that sponge out how will it trap debris? Won't my carbon fly out?

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Andrew,

Don't add iodine, calcium, alkalinity adjuster or Kalkwasser until you know what the individual levels are, doing so will just be chasing your tail :)

At this stage I would definately run some carbon, or Chemi-pure. I would also raise the corals to bring them closer to the light source and then leave them alone for about a week.

Sometimes corals can get irritated and they will not necessarily recover quickly.

John

11. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Absolutely test for everything just like Johno said. I was just mentioning some of the things that have helped my corals open up fully. I dont use that Lugos Iodine because it is to strong in my opinion. Lets let the moderators figure this one out as I am just as new to this as you are. As far as your carbon goes if you are using the round media cylinder in your Magnum filter to hold your media than just be sure that you get the size carbon that is larger than the holes in the media cup. You can get the stuff that says recomended for magnum 350's.

[glow=silver,2,300]Good Luck[/glow]

Jay

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Jay link=board=ASAP;num=1105315471;start=0#8 date=01/09/05 at 21:48:10] Lets let the moderators figure this one out as I am just as new to this as you are. [glow=silver,2,300]Good Luck[/glow]

Jay[/quote]

Oi, what's going on here then? From my perspective, Moderators moderate. In other words we stop people from being overly rude and offensive ( someone should moderate me sometimes LOL ) Just because some of the Mods here have had a little moref experience doesn't make them experts by any stretch of the imagination. Jay, your opinions and obsevations are just as important as anyone elses. Unlike a lot of forums, I admire 3reef because it in generally honest, friendly and well run as everyone is able and encouraged to contribute. :)

As for the carbon, can you get small refillable bags to house it in? Or maybe fashion a bag from some panty hose ( here we go again ) :)

John