corals + new live rock

Discussion in 'Coral' started by serotonin, Jun 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure I need to not buy any coarls and/or inverts for my tank until i have most/all of the live rock in my tank. I have 25lbs now, I plan to quadruple that at least. I'd like to add about 50 pounds next round and then 50 more a lil later on. Gonna try and build a wall on most of the back of my 90gal.

So, I wonder if it's ok to add a coral, mabe some xenia or something. That or an anenome for my clowns. Since my clowns jumped out of my tank last week (no canopy then) I've been kinda sad :-[ (lol) and want to get some perculas back in there( with an anenome for em )

Anyways, with the addition of that much live rock at a time, should I just squish the idea of adding a (i do mean a single) coral or anenome until that rock is added and stable?

Thx all! ;)

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would wait until your water is stable before adding corals or other inverts. I wouldn't add an anemone at all if the tank is new. Also, I'm not sure if your lighting can support an anemone?

4. serotonin

The tank has been going for 6 months in easy mode ( i hardly mess with it )

I have a 4 bulb tek5 setup with the lights about 3" off the waters surface.

PS: love your avatar :)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't know enough about lights to say if you've got enough for an anemone or not :) How many watts does that light set up put out?

A six month old tank isn't mature enough to support an anemone in my opinion so you'll probably want to wait a bit longer before you add one.

6. serotonin

each bulb is 54 watts, the guys at reefgeek.com said that 4 is certainly fine except for the more demanding coarls. He told me that most coarls and anemone would be fine under this 4 bulb setup. Gotta trust their word on that I guess. I must say the lights are quite bright, ive ran 400watt metal halide and high pressure sodium bulbs before and these lights are around the same intensity from as far as the human eye is concerned. fwiw i dunno :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm going to have to take their word for it because I'm clueless when it comes to those types of lighting set ups. That's why my fiancee is in charge of anything and everything to do with equipment :)

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I wouldn't add anything that might be bothered while putting new rock. Stonies would be ok as long as you dont stick them, but softies, once they stick, you will have to aquascape around them or have to bother them when you introduce new rock.

What I'm trying to say is that since you are adding more rock and your aquascape is not even finished, softies will take to places that are temporary and then you'll have to move them, etc.

I say wait until your tank is aquascaped, then start to decorate it with lots of corals!

10. serotonin

Thanks peeps :) I have had that feeling, you know the lil devil voice, that tells me "you want to get some, you know you do". Then the angel voice chimes in "you know what's gonna happen when you do that... nitrates and game over for you buddy".

haha, thanks for the input all :)

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I think you need to see a psychiatrist serotonin. 8)