corals look sick/die

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by scottmwoods, May 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scottmwoods

scottmwoods Spaghetti Worm

Ok, Need some help
    90 gal mixed reef tank. SPS, LPS, Softies, Fish
    PH 8.25
    Amonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Alkalinity 11.2
    CA 450
    Magnesium 1600
    Phosphates .2

All of the levels have been stable for a wile. I just added the CA reactor about 2 weeks ago.
    I also started using GFO for 1 hour a day to bring down the phosphates it was at .5

Could it be the CA reactor or could it be the GFO I have stopped the GFO now for about 2 days but the coral do not seem to be getting better.

Ca reactor

apex is controlling the tank. CA reactor ph 6.65
    Temp 76.6
    ORP 320
    Salt 1.023

2. Click Here!

3. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

Can you post a picture of your corals?

4. scottmwoods

Pics

This is the pics of some of the coral I have others. 5 is the most it will let me upload at this time

Attached Files:

5. scottmwoods

More Pics

more

Attached Files:

6. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

I'm personally not seeing anything wrong. Now that may just be the pictures or I may not know the problem when I see it. Hopefully its nothing or if its something someone can post a solution.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Salinity is too low, especially with the higher numbers that you have now compared to when you had the pH issue. Which would also bring up the question of unstable parameters.

Are you using a refractometer and calibrating it?

Also, are you sure about the phosphate reading? You need to be careful not to overdo GFO when you first begin to use it.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

How much flow in your tank? What type of powerheads and how many?I ask this because some of your corals look as though they might be recieving too much flow or too much lateral flow.

10. scottmwoods

The corals have been slowly getting worse. frogspawn not opening up as much. getting worse every day. even after not using the GFO. I have been doing water changes 5 gal with the apex at a time everyday.

I am testing the phos with the hana checker. I have verified this with another tank that has 0 phos in it.

I don't have a refracto meter. Im using the old school. Instant ocean hydrometer. I find that it is allot better than the refracto meters. A friend of mine has one and it does not read anything close to what the my hydrometer reads even after it is cal the next test its off again.

11. scottmwoods

I have 2 mp40 one on each side of the tank running at 65%. That might be something there. I had them at 55% I just increased them about the same time this started.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

:-/ You need to get a quality refractometer and 35ppt calibration fluid. A reef tank should not be tested with a hydrometer IMO. Get an auto-temperature correcting model.