Coral's health

Discussion in 'Coral' started by gkw, Apr 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I was just wondering, how do you tell if your corals are happy?

I have 2 ricordea florida and 2 small button polyp(i think) in my tank. The ricordeas has been there for 5 days and the button polyps for like over 2 weeks.

They all open up widely and nicely when the lights are on. The button polyps always closed at night. The ricordeas has been open all day and night, but not as open as during the day. Last night one of the ricordea closed almost all the way and the other is opened. Is it normal?

They all opened up all the way today. Looks happy.

Thanks!
    GKW

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Sometimes they may close up due to to much lighting or too much water movement. Sometimes their is something affecting them, possibly a toxin from another coral. Also, as a means of ridding themselves of waste etc. they may change size. your buttons will almost always close up at nighttime. Just check your water parameters and continue doing water changes preferably small ones each week!!!!!

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Cool, my water parameter are good and they are placed in a low flow area, I hope everything will be alright. I am planning to get some xenia in a week or so....is it too fast? or should I wait longer before I get it?

Thanks!

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

They seem happy to me! Usually when there is signs of underlighting or bad water parameters, they will shrink. If they are overlighted, shrooms tend to squeeze their bodies. Atleast that's the activity I've noticed on my frilly shrooms. Also, if yours closed up like a balloon, he's a carnivore and might have caught a nice meal.

6. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I would like to add that mushrooms and ricordea also close up at night.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

This is a week after they've in my tank and they are touching each other. Is it normal?

Also, the button polyps are in there for at least 2 weeks. The smaller one just opened up, and I thought it was his "butt." Then I found out they use their month for both purposes. :)

Hmm...do all ricordea close up at night? Mine don't really close up, just shrink a bit. Normal?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

They are fine. Enjoy them. Go ahead and get some Xenia. Xenias like Iodide in small doses. Makes them pulse. Iodine also does this but I wouldnt dose it till you get a test kit.

Jay

10. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I am dosed "Seachem Reef Plus" twice with half dose each and it has 0.18mg of iodine and everything else. Should I stop using it until I get the test kit? Or that product can be used as per direction?

Thanks!

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Be careful not to overdose!!!!!it can be lethal! Xenia like strong water movement also.