Corals for high current!

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by el_sillo, Sep 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

so here the deal, i need a few corals to place in the left section of my tank where there is moderate to high current!
    I run Tek T5 VHO lights, Bulbs are UV
    2xWhite actinic
    2xSuper actinic

i am thinking of buying a chili for a cave i have, and a pink carnation,, what are other corals that would grow great in this situation?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Sun coral / Dendro

Carnation will perish in a home aquarium.

4. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

thanks for the tip on the carnation! any other corals? the thing is im going to order them online because my LFS went out of buisness!

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Is your signature up to date? If so, unless you have a coral directly in front of a powerhead, I wouldn't be concerned with high flow rates because generally speaking you don't have an excessive amount for a 40 breeder. You're rather on the low end of the amount of flow that a lot of people use. It's probably good for the type of coral that you have currently but I would consider it on the low end. 20-30x the display tank volume is pretty conservative for a lot of mixed coral tanks and high flow tanks are more like 50x+ the tank volume.

If you're looking to add more coral I would look at more soft coral, zoanthids, more ricordia/mushrooms, some more LPS might be fine too. Check out LiveAquaria or another reputable online vendor for specifics they are generally pretty good for getting an idea of general requirements IMO.

Make sure if you go with the chili/carnation/dendro route that you know that they're non-photosynthetic so you need to feed them regularly and with the appropriate food, and that they are generally considered some of the more difficult coral to keep alive in an aquarium because of this.

Also some of the more sensitive coral may be difficult to keep because I think you are rather overstocked as far as fish go. 8 fish in a 40 breeder, including 2 tangs, may make it difficult to keep your nitrates/phosphate levels low enough to keep touchy corals alive long term, not to mention aggression among the fish eventually. Especially as the fish grow over the next year or two.

Hope that helps! :)

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Any sps corals LOVE high current, but i also agree with the above if you only have a mj400 and 600, i would actually say you should up the flow

7. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

well actually i have the mj 400 & 600, also the zoomed 214 this one moves from side to side to create a wave! and i dont have anymore the clown goby! all my params are great i have no problems with that. well im gonna look into some acropora and more softies!

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

first off, and i'm not trying to sound rude, you don't have nearly enough flow in that tank. Maxi jets are honestly horrible for flow because they create a small jet of water with a high velocity. Reef aquariums prefer the extremely high amount of water movement, dispersed over a large area hence the use of koralias, seios and tunze pumps. If I were you, I would mod (google it) one of the maxi jets and then we will be talking about high flow. I do believe that you are setting yourself up for failure if you are thinking about acropora at this point