Corals dying?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by keifer905, Apr 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

We have had our 75 gallon tank for a little over a year and a half. We have always had a gha problem, but our leathers, rba, and mushrooms always did well. Now overnight, the leathers are collapsed at the base (the base is still attached to the rock) the mushrooms are shriveled and falling off, and the rba is whitish and compressed. Our nitrates are a little high, but everything else is good. Except for this: we had a sudden spike in temperature from 78 to 85. Could that be the problem? We didnt change the heater, but could it just be summer? How could we fix this problem (short and long term) Thank you all so much

2. Click Here!

3. keifer905

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

short term, double wrap a lot of ice in bags and float it, long term invest in a heater. also for the GHA cut back on feedings and maybe lighting. also blow som efans at the surface of the water, i hope everything pulls through

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes I would think a temp increase like that would in fact cause your issues.
    I agree with above. Get some fans to blow across the surface of the water. This will increase evaporation and that will lower the temp.
    you will want to get a handle on the GHA. If you maintenance is good (water changes and feeding) I'm going to suspect your source water is high in phosphates and Nitrates. Try checking it? Could also be the age of your bulbs.

J

6. keifer905

so it is the temp?
    we put the heater on as low as it will go and we are monitoring it
    should i prop up the leathers?

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Assuming lighting didn't change, then sounds more like low alk. What are your parameters?

8. Click Here!

9. smoothrigoletto

smoothrigoletto Plankton

That's alot of algae, makes me wonder, what kind of water source are you using?

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Do you have specific values for Salinity?
    Nitrates?
    Phosphates?
    Calcium?
    Alk?
    Mag?

Are you running carbon?

Do you use RO/DI water or Tap?

Do you have a protein skimmer on your tank?