corals and temp

Discussion in 'Coral' started by buzzzsaw, Oct 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. buzzzsaw

buzzzsaw Plankton

Hey everyone,
    Ive got some issues that i could use some help on. I have a 120 gallon tank, 30 gallon sump. I have about 4 1/2 watts per gallon of pc's, mixed actinic and 10k. I have troubles with some of my corals bleaching, mostly the zoos with stalks. My tank has been running about 6 months. I have great coraline algae growth, spots almost quarter size. I have mushrooms that are doing excellent. star polyps that are doing great, and orange and green flat zoos that are doing great. The things that are sucking are xenia, tree coral, and a flower pot. I add iodine, and a calcium additive, feed them DT's, fish eat brine shrimp and other algae supplements. The tree coral is totally limp, almost look dead. The xenia looks bad, and the zzos with stalks have zero color. My temp fluxuates from 79-81.7, is this my problem? A chiller is on the way next week, but im lost. Water all tests good, and I do water changes weekly. Someone help me...

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

The natural reef will fluctuate a couple of degrees between seasons. Corals in shallow water are exposed to warmer water than deep water corals. I'm not sure if a 2.7 degree swing could be your problem. What are your other water parameters including CA and Alk?

FWIW my tank is a steady 80 dergrees.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

My Tank temps are usually between 74 and 78. 74 with the lights out, and 78 with them on. Also the flower pot, xenia, and the tree corals demand a little more light. The flower i would put close to the top of the tank as well as the xenia, the tree coral would do fine towardss the middle of the tank. Lighting and water temp are part of the problem. Alk and ca levels are also very important. Lighting would be my #1 concern with the tree, xenia and the flower corals since they are mainlyphotosynthesis feeders, the xenia will do best if feed brine and mysis shrimp. the tree and flowr pot should be fed phytoplankton. I would slowly decrease temp gradually over a day or two. that should a great deal.

5. buzzzsaw

buzzzsaw Plankton

I apprecite the help, but i think i found the problem. My sg has dropped to 1.017, my son was setting up a tank and borrowed the meter. I dont see how it dropped that much. I started raising it slowly last night. My alk was 145. I have reversed the fan on my hood and lowered my temps to 78-79.5.  That is the lowest I can get my temps without a chiller. 500 watts of pc under the hood...Do u think that drop in sg was enough to do the damage. I swear i think some of the zoos are getting their color back already. Is that possible? Thanks for all ur help...I am so ate up with this stuff.

Last word edited to PG rating. ;)

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I think you found your problem.
    The Flower Pot is a very demanding coral. It tends to like moderate lighting and moderate flow (I know what is the definition of Moderate) so from what I can see all your corals that you have listed demand the same tank conditions. I have always felt the Xenia is a great indicator of your tank conditions. It seems to react to problems before most and also rebounds first.

Hope this helps
    Jason

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yes the low SG will negatively affect your corals. Glad you found the problem.

A good reminder to test all water parameters when things go awry, eh?

8. Click Here!

9. buzzzsaw

buzzzsaw Plankton

definately... I never thought it would fall this much ...I usually check often, but this time i let it slide. Thanks for everything..

10. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

testing is good! when things look off test right away!