coralline question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

so if you know your tank is ready to keep sps once coraline starts growing, how do you get the coraline to grow? do i have to dose calcium? also i need to add a seed rock with it on it for it to cover the roks right?

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Dosing calcium will definitely increase it/speed up the growth. There is very likely already Coraline on your rocks laying dormant. So you shouldn't have to seed it. It just takes time. As to the sps question. There are a lot of factors that go into whether or not SPS will grow in your tank. While having coraline is a good sign, it's not the answer. Just an indicator of good conditions. You still need to test and have the flow / lighting to maintain sps. Coraline grows much easier than SPS.

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

yes i plan on putting a par30 over the tank and ill take care of flow somehow, what pump do you think would be good?

also the rocks i have are not even live nor were they ever so i think ill have to seed them.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Ahh, then yes, you may be right. I've only worked with 100% live rock. I'm sure you can find someone with a nice piece of rock covered in it. I know I would be more than willing to share a piece of mine if someone needed it.

As for flow.. I'm a big time Vortech fan. They make amazing pumps.

edit: You probably want to get a couple pieces of live rock to help seed the other anyhow.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

What size is your tank?

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

do you think such a large pump would be needed? its a 5 gallon nano that i plan to make sps dominant, i was thinking 2 hydor koralia nano pumps. would that be sufficient?

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Oh goodness. I've never worked with anything that small. I really don't know. I would imagine even a MP10 would take up the whole tank! lol.

Yeah the Koralia Nano Water Pump 260gph 3.5W Aquarium Circulation Pump

One of those is 52x turnover. More than enough so long as you can get it pointed right.

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

That is 3 about 3 times bigger than the MP10. Your tank will end up being a powerhead display. Try a Hydor Pico Evo

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

not sure what your saying, the nano pump is not as big. i think ill just do one

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

koralia actually makes 2 nano powerheads, a 450GPH model and a 260GPH model, since your doing SPS dominant i would look into 2 260 models pointing directly at eachother, causing random water movement IMO.