Coralline Growth

Discussion in 'Algae' started by BaxterS80, Jan 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

In our large display tank we have Coralline covering the entire back of the tank in multiple layers. It would be totally covering the sides and front if i did not scrape a couple times a week. We have a 29 that has been up longer then the large tank and we cannot get any coralline to grow. The parameters of the tank are ph 8.4, ca 440, alk 9.4dkh, mag 1300, and salinity is 1.026. We have several pieces of live rock that was purchased with a coating of coralline. I have scraped the rock on a few occassions and even took some of the scrapings from the larger tank. Any ideas or hints would be great....8)

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

scrape some off the tank that has too much and put it into the tank that has too little, turn off filters/powerheads for a few minutes(30 or so) to let it settle on the rocks and not get sucked up into filters/skimmers. Or maybe even superglue some on where you want it Then when you are all done scrape som more off and SEND IT TO ME lol;D

4. BaxterS80

Hey cuttingras, I have already taken scrapings from the larger tank on a few occasions...Still nothing....

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I read that did you superglue any? are you adding any mag or cal? how long are your lights on for it? I noticed less light=more coralline also.....flow do you have good flow in the smaller tank?

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

1) for Ca @ 440, dKH should be around 4 meq/L or 11 dKH.

2) do you dose any supplements?

3) how much light do you have?

7. BaxterS80

No dosing in this tank, just regular water changes...We leave the lights on for 10 hours, and the lighting is 2 65W 10000k and 2 Actinics...

8. Click Here!

9. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

how many of those pesk coraline eater's

hi,
    I read a post some where that said something about hermits and many snails will munch on coraline when hungrey, that explains my slow growth cause I have a dozen of those little buggers.
    I have had a few lost to murder and shell nabing, and now my coraline is taking off. go figure.
    Lets move the hermits to the sump..
    hehe
    Doug
    oh yea some of the turbo snails have been to known to eat coraline too if there's not enough food.:-/
    GeeZe caint we all get along.

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yes i onto keep a couple of the turbos cause mine like to eat coraline.i use alot of astrea in place of them.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have a 5.5 gallon I started about 2 weeks ago.. It has 48 watts over 5 gallons. I put a pretty large rock (as large as it can be for a 5.5 gallon tank) in with some caroline on it.. It seems to have taked off already.. Just lucky I guess... I was told to use shavings like cuttingrass off of my buddies tank. I just never got around to doing it...

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

When I had a Chocolate Chip star wandering around in my tank for couple of days...It definetly chewed up a lot of coraline on rocks and glass. (God knows what else -- :-/ )