Coralline Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SJR, Jun 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Why is Coralline Algae so desirable? What benefits does it add to your tank?

2. Click Here!

3. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

no-one knows?

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

The Coralline algae produce chemicals that promote herbivorous invertebrates. These in turn keep various sea weeds from growing

The advantages of coralline algae are that it outgrows the nuisance algae. The healthier the coralline algae growth, the less likely the nuisance algae will grow. Corallines also add lots of color to the aquarium and help to build up a reef tank. It is not the coral that form the reef, it is the coralline algae that cements the particles together thus building the reef.

And the growing coralline algae is a sign of a healthy environment with good water values. John

5. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Thanks Fletch. I've read in past posts that coraline is usually followed by a bright green algae. Does this mean you should'nt clean the bright green algae to help promote the coraline, or will the coraline just start to grow in a healthy environment? I have alot of it on my LR but I try to keep my glass clean. Would it be better to let it grow on the glass too?

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Coralline Algae usually appears as a lime green coloration on your rocks and then over time if conditions are favorable it will change to the pink and purple colors. I have not heard about coralline being followed by a bright green algae but that does in no way make your statement incorrect, I just have not heard it myself.
    I clean my front and sides of my tank but I let the coralline grow on the back glass. If there is coralline algae growing it greatly reduces the growth of nuisance algae. John

7. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Got it...had any luck with Christmas Tree Worms?

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I had green algae with my low-light, fish only system. I upgraded the lighting to ~2W/gal, and suddenly a purplish algae has appeared everywhere. Is this coralline algae?
    Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

11. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

SAW,
    Buddy it almost looks like a light coating of red algae to me. Corraline is thicker and definitely more purple. If you can take a brush and wipe it off easily it's not corraline. BTW, I saw your lighting upgrade n your gallery. Good Choice!!
    I think you will be happy with it in the long run.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

heres a article with some benifits of corraline alge
    http://www.algone.com/coralline_algae.htm

i had another site i cant find it atm but corraline can be in different colors also depending on shading and lighting in the tank green, blue, purple, pink and sometimes orange or red i myself have had the blue and green in spots where the rock was shaded underneath

1 person likes this.