Coralline Algae eaten by hermit crabs

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ahochan, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ahochan

ahochan Plankton

Hi,

I used to have lots of nice coralline in my tank, but ever since I "reset" it about a year ago (after moving), it is almost gone.

Just the other day, I added a new coral that was attached to some live rock with plenty of beautiful coralline on it, and I noticed that my hermit crabs flocked to it immediately. The next day, the rock was white, and the coralline was all gone.

Is there anything I can do apart from getting rid of the hermits?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. that fish guy

that fish guy Flamingo Tongue

I would add some iodine to ur tank see if that helps or if u really care a bout it that much get rid of the hermits and get a blue tuxedo urchin they don't bother anything good luck

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They'll excrete live spores. In effect, they are spreading coralline for you.

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Let me preface this with saying, I am one of those people that love coralline algae and do not mind cleaning it off equipment or replacing equipment it damages. Coralline is just about the most invasive thing in your tank (unless you have a nuisance algae issue). Now, I have never witnessed hermits eating coralline myself, but I have read many posts and articles of claims to the same. Apparently there is a variety of small hermit crabs that do in fact eat coralline. If it were my tank I would pull the hermits from the tank and replace them with Blue legged hermits that do not eat coralline.

My only concern is that you said your coralline had turned white – this sounds like the coralline has bleached and not in fact eaten. If the coralline is eaten it should be gone, not changed color – I am just guessing tho. I know if your calcium and magnesium is insufficient your coralline can bleach, could this be your case?

Do you have cats or dogs? If you bring something new into your house they are all over it, gotta love new smells ! Hermits are the same way with anything new to a tank – the fact they swarm something new doesn’t necessarily indicate an open invitation to dinner applies.

6. ahochan

ahochan Plankton

The rock wasn't white because the coralline had bleached, but rather because it was clearly gone, exposing the white rock underneath it.

What is the purpose of adding iodine?

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Someone posted Iodine because its an essential element for Coralline to grow. Additionally I would add, steady SG, calcium above 400 good DKH, test for and supplement strontium (never add what you do not test for !!), and of course nitrates and phosphates at zero. -- I assume that post was aimed at producing healthy coralline faster than your tank inhabitants can consume it.

But your post was on the crabs -- I still say to remove them and replace them with Blue legged. Certainly after reading your response that the algae has been fully consumed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Houston

Houston Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well if you just reset your tank and your old corraline is almost gone. Then maybe when you added the new coraline covered rock it died fast. I thought that my hermits were eating mine as well then realized it was just dieing off. Just a thought. Maybe somthing else wrong instead.