Coraline Questions?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trying it again, Jan 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Hi, I picked up a small piece of LR with purple Coraline on it. The two questions are
    1- How tolerant are Coraline with water parameters?

2- About how long will it take to spread?

These are my water parameters as of today
    nitrate 40, nitrite 0, cal. 425, alkalinity 300, pH, 8.4 ammonia, .25 Temp 84 deg.F, S/G 1.022
    Thanks for your replies.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

TRA, I take it you are just in the process of cycling your tank?

I wouldn't worry about coraline at this point. It will appear to die off in a cycling tank. It will go white for awhile. Don't worry about it. I would concentrate on getting your SG up to around 1.026 and your temp down to 79-80. You Ammonia and Nitrate is still too high to start adding livestock but as for coraline on live rock, it will go white during the cycle and then take a few months to recover. From there in a healthy tank it should spread slowly over months and years. If it's like my tank. you will start to cures it as it grows everywhere, Glass, power heads, overflow.

J

4. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The better your water parameters are the faster it will spread.

Coraline is a calcareous algae and takes more time to spread than all the nuisance algae. The game plan is to get as much coraline coverage on LR to prevent the nuisance algae from growing, but it takes so much time for the coraline to spread that many people my self included end up with lots of nuisance algae first. At one point my tank looked like a 1970's disco green shag carpet;D .

Now that you have added coraline to your tank water parameters are the most important not only to help it spread as fast as possible, but to keep the bad algae from taking over!But it does take time.

This is what I test for and try to maintain. Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Cal. 400-450, Alk. 125, ph 8.3, ammonia 0, Phosphate 0, Iodide .03-.06, S/G 1.023 skimming and lighting are also very important.

Any criticism on my chemistry would be appreciated.
    Good luck :)

5. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

SG of a reef should be 1.026

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    Phosphate 0
    Ca 425-450
    pH 8.3
    Temp 76-80
    SG 1.024-1.026 for reef or 1.022-1.024 for FOWLR

Like fish said, this is what you are trying to aim at. Monitor alk as well. I really need to get a better test for it. :-/

7. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

SG 1.026 for reef. Im doing a water change today so I will start to bring it up.
    Thanks yall.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

For corraline algae to grow and spread, you should have a high level of calcium, good lighting and strong water flow. A product called Purple Up at local fish stores is good to help grow corraline algae(purple,green and pink color). Once established it will spread pretty fast. I have corraline algae that is laminar in shape like a thin flat plate (montipora and leptosiris).

10. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

so do I it looks very cool faning out from the LR

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

yes very cool. Deep red color with pink spots and pink edges.

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Lighting? It grows better in some lighting environments than others. It is not a big fan of intense halide lighting when it first gets started. I had better luck growing it in my sump with a fluorescent grow light than in my main tank with halides.
    But, for each aquarium it's different. :tongue4:
    Enjoy.

Jim