Coralife salt good or bad?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Kanook, Oct 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Here are a few articles that will help anyone pick a salt... The first is the one that got me to switch to Crystal Sea Marinemix until it consistently read low in Ca and Mg. They are long reads and the first is pretty in depth but they are worth it. Unfortunately they are all contradicting as well as a few years old. Too bad no one will take the time and do a TRUE elemental analysis on the salts again. Randy Holmes-Farely would be a good choice but I am sure he would not accept the challange....

As for Coralife, it smells odd, has way too high Ca-sometimes 640 and the alk is usually 13-14 but other than that, I use it once in a while to boost the Ca of my other salt.

The Toxicity of Some Freshly Mixed Artificial Sea Water; A Bad Beginning For A Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com
    Sea Salts: Part I - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine
    Down the Drain, Exports from Reef Aquaria by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Happy reefing!

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I use Tropic Marin and TM Pro Reef in my displays and use IO when I cure my rocks in rubbermade tubs since it's cheaper than the TM.