Coralife Calcium Reactor Good or Not?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by fishflyer, Dec 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am looking into rounding out my equipment with a calcium reactor but the prices are crazy.

Does anybody have any feed back on the Coralife calc reactor? The price is right and I have heard nothing bad about there skimmers.

2. Click Here!

3. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

I have been looking into those also. My lfs always has one in stock. Is that good or a sign?

4. dark126

dark126 Astrea Snail

my dear look tell me why you want to spend youre mony for nothing...
    you just want to use the kh and klkwasser buffer if youer KH become low in youre tank or if you want to correct the ph to 8.3-8.5 .no need for the reiacter. just make sure that kH test not less than 80 DKH better thing to keep it 120dkh

5. fishflyer

I was hoping to spend my money so as not to spend as much time dealing with dosing ca. I guess there is a mixed bag about that reactor on the feedback at marine depot. But for the price I might just take a chance.

Or maby MRC or Octopus

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Reactors can be pretty finicky to adjust, if you read as much about this one I'd be wary.

I went with a Precision Marine over the Korallin for this reason. For what it's worth.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The reactor is just a cylinder and a pump and you could cover the differences in them all with a postage stamp Its the controller and regulators that matter.. And there are far better and cheaper units to be had from local welding supply shops and soda fountain suppliers also. And as for the controller Thats a pick em thing I guess it depends on what one you'd like the better. I like the Milwaukee units myself over the others and the unites that use Ehiem pumps are plus also.

8. Click Here!

9. fishflyer

Thanks for the feed back. I guess I will make sure not to skimp on the regulator. I am thinking of using a reefkeeper2 with the ph probe to automate this as much as possible. I guess I am leaning towards the octopus. I just got one of there skimmers and am happy with the quality and price.

10. ekboi83

ekboi83 Plankton

coralife ca reactor sux.. their pumps alwayz leaks.. i had it happen to me with a brand new reactor and my friend also has a leaky one

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Tangster turned me and a friend on to a KNOP Ca Reactor and they are great. I was alway worried about the complexity of this equipment until I set it up for myself, boy is it simple. Took me about 2 weeks to adjust the flow to get the ppm I wanted in Calcium. It takes that long because you don't want to raise your tank real fast and cause problems. Way better then dosing hands down. Since starting it I have replaced the media in the tube once and done nothing else except for refilling the CO2 tank I got from a Keg place. That is it....set it and forget it. I would never be without one again. ;D

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The Corallife unit is trash .. get your self a Knoop or a Precision Marine Knoop would be my first choice as they are very simple and straight forward and reasonably priced. And these may be their only short coming people don't appreciate simple alonger it has to have a owners manual now days.