coralife aqualight w 150w de halides modifying to 250w de halides

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by tatted4ever, Apr 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I am going to attempt a modification to a coralife aqualight 492w with 2 150w de halides. I am going to upgrade the halide lamps to 250w de halides. I have done some research and I will be buying 2 icecap 250w electronic ballast, a pair of 250w de sockets, and 2 phoenix 14k bulbs.

Heres my problem, Ive noticed that the icecap ballast have a long power cord but the wiring from ballast to lamp socket only has a foot length with a female plug.

Ive been looking at a lot of online stores and cannot find what I think I need to wire ballast to lamp sockets. I will be keeping the ballast in my stand so I think I need about 10 feet of wiring or so to my fixture. Where can I get this wiring? Has anybody successfully performed this modification?

Any help would be awesome. Well I through in some pics of my 90 gallon reef tank so you know what we are lighting up.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

make sure all wiring to lamp itself that is not getting replaced is able to handle the extra juice

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would suggest getting a 250W bulb first. You need to make sure there is even room for it in that fixture. If I remember right, the 250W will be at least a half inch longer, and bigger in diameter as well.

5. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

why do you glass tops?

6. tatted4ever

well coralife makes a 250w model. same dimensions as the 150w model (almost certain).
    so im confident that this will work... Only thing to change is ballast, sockets, bulbs, and wiring. But thats my problem is the wiring.

I mentioned that from ballast to light socket... icecap 250w electronic ballast only has a foot of wiring with a female adapter. Im gonna need additional wiring to run from my stand to fixture to lamp socket... thats where I need help. where can I get this wiring? or will the existing wire be sufficient and just wire with out quick disconnects? And if somebody has done this with success if they have any tips

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

There is a little black book called the pocket ref that will let you know how much a particular size wire can handle. It will also let you know how the universe works in so many words. Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

ok guys change of plans. Im gonna be getting these lumatek ballast instead of icecaps.

Lumatek 250W/120V Digital Ballast

If you notice it comes with 15 ft of lamp wiring. That quick connects to the ballast.
    So no fuss on messing with existing plugs. Im gonna replace all wiring to sockets with the wiring that comes with the ballast. So ill be getting 2 of these ballast. 2 250w de sockets and 2 250w phoenix 14k bulbs. Cant wait to do the diy upgrade. Should be done by the end of this week.

10. tatted4ever

11. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

well, i would think that it you went with individual ballasts, you could isolate problems later on if need be. if a ballast goes out, you only have to replace one, not a larger dual. I would go seperate for this reason alone.

12. tatted4ever

Other than this is there a performance difference compared to 2 singles?

1 person likes this.