Coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by BenL, Mar 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BenL

BenL Astrea Snail

What is the most beginner coral that a clownfish will host?

2. Click Here!

3. BenL

BenL Astrea Snail

or just easiest to care for

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Clowns can be very random when picking a host (the Anemone/Coral hosts the Clowns, not the other way around ;) ) and they may not pick a host at all. It just comes down to luck, for the most part, unless the Anemone is known to have a symbiotic relationship with Clownfish, in which case they may be more likely to have the Anemone host them.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it really is pretty random in terms of clownfish being hosted by other types of corals. If you really want the coral to host the clowns, your best bet is to get an anemone that is the natural host for the type of clown you have.

I finally found my clowns in my anemone after about 3 months of waiting. In terms of your original question, I think LPS are the more common corals that host clowns (hammer, torch, frogspawn)...

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Frogspawn but it could take many months.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

None. The coral host it. ;D

Mine started to reside in my frogspawn after awhile. He experiment with a brain coral and zoa too.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

As others have stated it depends on the clown. I find that aquacultured clowns tend to be hosted by random things while wild types almost always go for the nem.

I had a pair of wild type skunk clowns that wouldn't go near a frogspawn for over 6 months. I put a nem in the tank and they tried to get into the bag during acclimation to be hosted by it. I had another clown that tried to be hosted by an acropora, almost killed it (cali tort) so I traded him in. You'll hear many stories of tank bred ocellaris clowns being hosted by power heads, corners of the tank, hair algae, heaters, clams etc.

IF it has to be a coral, I'd say torch coral, hairy mushrooms, long tentacle plate corals, or brain corals.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'd stick with either large mushrooms or a leather; toadstools look like carpet nems, so that may work. A few may have good luck with LPS, but for many, the clown ultimately damages the coral on it's own skeleton.

12. Tony H

Tony H Plankton

I've had cataphyllia's and torches host perculas, they seem to be the most eager to jump into a coral, I've also had those corals host domino damsels. Ocellaris seem to jump straight into a nem as soon as it's added to the reef.
    That being said I currently have a female percula that won't leave a larger devils hand alone, then next minute she's into the large torch...
    Women!