Coral (Zoanthids) sick HELP!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TinFury, Nov 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Ok I just came back from a trip. And the guy I was staying with didn't give me the correct shipping address. UGgg..... To cut a long story short my corals were in shipping for over 48hrs.... All are zoanthids. Some are definately ok but have lost they color. Others are just sick. I'm posting some pics. If you know ANYTHING I can do please help me out and lemme know. Some of these pictures are really close up. I made sure to get good rez on them too.

Ok this one is alive but has lost it's color. I don't even know which one it is.
    [​IMG]

These are red and haven't lost there color. But only one polyp opens. you can see it here on the right of the rock, it looks healtier than the rest of the polyps
    [​IMG]

This rock I've never seen open. It's always closed. As you can see over the two bad pieces there is something like a web and the skin of the zoanthids are turning white. SOMEONE TELL ME CAN I SAVE THEM?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

The first one looks like it could make it (what is it devils armor?) The others I cant tell you, they look bad but who know maybe you put them in your tank and they recover like nothing happened to them.

Did you go to the store I mentioned?

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

5. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

IBMGeek: I have no idea what the top one is I think it might be Smashing Passion or Blue Shuriken

I couldn't get a chance to go anywhere. :( I went to one store. I think it's called "oceans of eden" I have a nice green zoa from them that lived and came down really
    well. The dying ones are the shipped ones.

6. IBMGeek

I dont think its blue shuriken, you have to post a closeup pic of the polyp. Again give them time to see if they open up.

7. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

My genius friend just recommended that I blow that white stuff off with a powerhead. I did and the zoas look a whole lot better. They are still transparent in some places but they look better. I'll let you know how this goes. I hope they get better.

Oh BTW? Can anyone tell me what that white stuff is?

8. Click Here!

9. IBMGeek

I dont know but I had some Caribbean zoos that I collected and when I brought them home they had developed this white coat around the polyps just like yours. I removed the film and nothing happened to them so it might be the same thing you have.

10. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

fungus. almost like a soft coral (specifically zoanthid) disease :(

It happens on larger rocks often

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well, first off let me say that I am not even going to try to guess what species of zooanthids those are :p.

As for their health, for the most part I have found that zoos are pretty resilient. I would watch them, and brush/blow off any film or stuff that accumulates on them (be gentle :)).

Besides that, I would predict that after a few days they should be start opening up more.

Hope all goes well.

12. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Bruce: You give me hope.... :)