coral swelling

Discussion in 'Coral' started by catz, Jul 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

Can someone please help me with this. Last night I noticed my brain coral had gotten three times its normal size. It was seriously swollen. I called my LF and he said it was ok but really didn't explain what was going on. Only that it had taken on water to excrete its waste. Is this true? I have had it for 2 months now and this is the first time it has done this.
    I have had it on the live rock from day one. should I put it on the sand instead. It went back down to normal last night but I just noticed that it is all swollen again.

Here is a picture of it. Sorry its blurry, camera on the fritz.

[​IMG]

Also, I am attaching another coral that I bought and I can't remember the name of it. I am hoping that someone can identify it for me. Its hard, I know its in the brain family but just don't know what. the outer rim is light pink.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

Brain Coral Help ! ! ! is it dying?

Can someone please help me with this. Last night I noticed my brain coral had gotten three times its normal size. It was seriously swollen. I called my LF and he said it was ok but really didn't explain what was going on. Only that it had taken on water to excrete its waste. Is this true? I have had it for 2 months now and this is the first time it has done this.
    I have had it on the live rock from day one. should I put it on the sand instead. It went back down to normal last night but I just noticed that it is all swollen again.

Here is a picture of it. Sorry its blurry, camera on the fritz.

[​IMG]

Also, I am attaching another coral that I bought and I can't remember the name of it. I am hoping that someone can identify it for me. Its hard, I know its in the brain family but just don't know what. the outer rim is light pink.

[​IMG]

4. accentstencil

accentstencil Bristle Worm

The pictures are too small to really see properly. Can you make them larger?

5. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

better pictures I think. Thanks for the help on this.

This is how it looks right now. It is about 3 times its normal size. It feels like jelly, but the underside is normal.

[​IMG]

this one is how it looked last night after it went back to normal.

[​IMG]

the bottom one here is one I am looking for the name of.

[​IMG]

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I am not too familiar with brains, but to me, it doesnt outwardly appear that there is anything drastically wrong with it, at least not from the pics. It is normal for them to look a lot different from night to day, as they will puff up a little more and send out the feeders at night mainly.
    What kind of flow and light is it in? It appears to be at the very top of the tank in the pic? You can always try moving it down, as they prefer lower flow and don't need a heck of a lot of light. Have you tried feeding it?

7. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

I had it on the bottom, it didn't like it. Until two days ago it stayed looking the same.
    I do feed it three times a week. I just found it odd that it started to change after 2 months of having it.

I appreciate you getting back with me on it. I trust your opinions.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Can you post a pic of what it looked like before, so we can see the difference?

10. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

I'll get one when it goes down again. it should be in about an hour or so if it does like it did last night.

11. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

My brain coral was in tank for a year before I inherited the tank in Oct. '08. It's gone through several changes, including tissue loss. It's been moved a couple times and is now back on the SB. At night it shrinks considerably and during the day it fills out gradually and is about 5 inches long and 4-5 wide, a good 3+ inches high. I just started to target feed it in the areas where the three mouths are and it is vibrant green and looks healthy. Your pics look fine.

12. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

thank you. This puts my mind at ease. I don't see any tissue loss. I just thought it strange that all of a sudden it would start doing this. Is there a particular reason for it, or did it finally just get comfortable enough to do what it is supposed to do.