Coral Spotlight | Star Polyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by mikejrice, Dec 13, 2018.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Common names: star polyps

Difficulty Level: Star polyps are extremely tolerant and a great choice for beginners.

Feeding: These corals are primarily photosynthetic, but may catch some small particles with their feathers.

Lighting (Level 5 to 10):Star polyps will adapt to almost any type, and level of lighting. They will grow towards the light source, so keep this in mind when planning coral stocking placement.

Water flow: Star polyps will adapt to any flow conditions.

Placement: Star polyps are one of the fastest growing corals available to the hobby and they often shadow out of other corals and may even take over an entire aquarium. They grow towards the light source, so take care when placing them so that other corals won’t be in their path.

General: Star polyps are often referred to as a weed coral due to their rapid growth. Be sure to plan for the future of these corals in your tank.

https://captivecoral.net/portfolio/star-polyps/[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I’ve thought about growing these on my return box and trying to limit growth anywhere else. Are these the ones that pulse?

4. mikejrice

That would be pulsing xenia.

I started a little GSP frag near the top of one of my overflows and it's worked out really well over the last year. Seems like starting it at the top has helped contain it from getting too crazy.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

So, not too much work keeping it contained?

6. mikejrice

I haven't touched it so far. Doesn't grow down, away from light nearly as quickly as it grows up towards it.

Billme likes this.
  7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Ya I was just reading up on them and it looks like they do better in low flow. My return near the top is very high flow. Maybe some encrusting type would be better. Still a new tank so it’s not ready for anything too finicky yet.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

I've got star polyps in displays and flats in conditions from nearly stagnant to being blasted by direct flow from power heads, and they're all thriving. They don't seem to mind either way.

10. mikejrice

Nice and close

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk