Coral Newbie: Can I freshwater dip these corals?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Moonbat, Oct 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moonbat

Moonbat Plankton

Hi

I have had a 150 gal FOWLR system for about 3 years now and have decided to try adding a few soft corals as suggested to me by my LFS.

I have always fresh water dipped my fish before adding them to my QT (with good success), but reading through these forums (and the recent poll on the subject) it seems there are some corals that can and some that cant.

My LFS didnt write down the names of the ones that they sold me, so any help would be greatly appreciated in identifying them from the picture of them in my QT. I have already seen a number of what looks like bristle worms coming out of the coral to the far left and at an angle, and I didnt really want to carry these into the display tank.

How long should I leave them in the QT?

If they can be dipped to remove the nastys, is it the same procedure as the fish? e.g. match temp, ph and leave them in there for about 5 minutes?

They sold me some coral food to add every other day, but apart from that, am I right in thinking that my monthly water change (25% 120 litres using Instant Ocean at 1.025) should supply all the other needed elements?

The lighting I currently have on the display tank is made up of:

ZooMed Coral Sun 42 inch 38w Fluorescent Lamp
    ZooMed Ocean Sun 48 inch 32w Fluorescent Lamp
    ZooMed Reef Sun 48 inch 36w Fluorescent Lamp

Is this adequate for keeping those corals?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that anyone can give me.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

From front left going back it looks like you have a nice Pipe organ coral, A toadstool, Zoa's, Mushrooms and a rock full of Paly's

All of my corals except for my SPS get fresh water dipped with some Lugols Solution and some PraziPro. Dipping is the same corals.

Me personally, I would change from IO to Reef crystals, it contains more of the trace elements and stuff that are required by different corals. It won't be a big change because IO and RC are both made by same people.

You might want to think about adding some more light, while none of these corals need the great amount of light that SPS needs they do require more than you have now IMO.

EDIT: Bristle worms are a good thing in moderation, you just don't want to many which usually comes from over feeding.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Honestly I dont think a dip would do much for you. Your lighting is far from being able to keep corals, IMO. If corals are something you do honestly want to keep in the long run, I would look into a T5 fixture.
    Shoot for at least 5 watts a gallon.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't Dip and quarantine new additions no matter what they are. If you don't you take a chance of adding something like a Zoa eating Nudi, or worse to your display tank which treating would be almost impossible. Treat now and avoid having problems later.

As far as not having enough light for softies while I admit its a little low and they would have to keep them high and I suggested he add some, its enough light for now. The only one they might have issues with right now is the Pipe organ, it will have to be really high. I have Zoa's, mushrooms and paly's in a 15 gallon tall with a single 18" standard fluorescent 15 watt bulb and they are very happy, splitting and growing constantly.

6. Moonbat

Moonbat Plankton

Exactly what the LFS guy suggested as well. Typical that I just got 25 kilos of IO last week. I will change to Reef crystals next time for sure though as you suggest.

So I can freshwater dip those corals exactly the same way as I do my fish then?

Thanks for all you other help as well.

7. Moonbat

Moonbat Plankton

I will keep all the corals at the top for now then until I can get some T5's next week.

Can I use the T5's with my current T8's or do I need to start from scratch and use only T5's.

This is where I usually get all my stuff from:

Aquatics Online UK - Aquarium Supplies, Pond, Pumps, Filters, and liners -Lighting

Is there anything there that you can suggest, or should I look elsewhere?

Thank you for your advice.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Mix it up, it wont hurt to use both at all, why spend the money if you dont have to right.

Since you obviously in the UK I don't think I can help you on where to go becasue I am on the other side of the "big pond" as my grandfather called it.