Coral Killer

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nicholar, Jul 7, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Sounds like to me that your LFS is recieving or recieved some bad corals.

Whats the LFS set-up like? Same lightinf? How long did the LFS tank the livestock you purchased?

It's definitly not the mouse pad, but it could be something in the water. Copper test might be in order as store bought r/o is processed thru copper lines, not polym like ours.

The quickness of death is what leads me to belive you recieved livestock on a lit fuse.

2. Click Here!

3. nicholar

nicholar Plankton

I purchased all of the equipment new. The Hammer was at the store for only 3 days or so. So, when that died(it was my firstII figured it was just a bad one. The Galaxy was there for 2 months and the Xenia I'm not sure about. They all looked great at the LFS. I just thought of something... I have a hose bib type attachment on the return line to pump out water for water changes. It is brass. Could that be the problem?
    BTW: thanks for all of your interest!!!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Now we are getting somewhere!!

Brass is a copper alloy I believe and over time it could certainly harm inverts.

How fast is anyone's guess, but I would remove it pronto and do a water change or two before you add anything else.

matt

5. nicholar

nicholar Plankton

Will do. I should also have a test done for copper right before I off the suspect part and then after a water change. I hope that is the problem. I failed to remember/mention that part until today when one of you mentioned copper. Me Stupid

6. nicholar

nicholar Plankton

Thought of something else. If htere is a lot of copper, will it be in the sand and LR? If so,will it dissipate over time?

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Nicholar,

Your last post was a little garbled. Do you need any more assistance?

:) ;) :D ;D 8) ::)

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Craig - He wants to know if there is copper, will it leave the sand and rock over time or stay.

I wish I could answer that. I don't know.
    Possibly using some poly filters will help remove it if it exists.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Copper will "get sucked up" by any calciuos(sp?) object and at lower ph's (like at night) it'll leach back out. Its extremelly hard to know how much is absorbed by your rock and sand, no test can tell you that. It'll only show whats in the water at that time.

Xenia trips out from tank to tank, so that one doesn't really raise any flags. The lps (totch) was on a lit fuse from its journey, so no flags there either. As for the galaxy, hmmm, those don't usually just kick it. You never did say what your LFS set-up is like, what lighting, skimming, size, etc. That info will help some. I would try some mushrooms, or a toadstool, and see how they do. There pretty hardy, and if one of them kicks it, then something eally is going on.

11. nicholar

nicholar Plankton

I'm back.
    Removed the brass part and had the water checked for copper. It was 1.5!!!
    I guess that's like a therapuetic dose for fish..not good.
    Just did a 30% water change and will do more later tonight.
    Let's see what happens.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

1.5! :eek:

Well at least you know what it is now. ;)