Coral is not looking good. I'm new please help.

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by thang45, Mar 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thang45

thang45 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a brain and a polyp or blasto a week ago. When I got them I think they adapt to my tank very nicely because I can see that both have opened up as soon as I put them into the tank.

Anyway, I did 8 gal WC this week and the next day they don't open up anymore. Is this stress because of the WC or I placed them too high to the HQI light?

I have attached the placement of the corals and their pictures. Should I do anything at this point? BTW, can anyone ID them as well? I would like to know the correct name for them.

My tank
    90gal
    Salinity 1.025
    PH8.3
    dkH 8.5
    Nitrate 2

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

You should really invest you time and $ to work on your water parameters and algae issues before buying coral. Get your Alk up to at least 12 dKH, and get test kits for magnesium and calcium as well.

5. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

I believe of you were to add a bit more info on lighting, parameters, and age of tank that these guys could give you a more informed answer... Im sure there are other stats they may require also...

6. thang45

thank you so much, the gentament at bigals only write down blasto and I could not figure the whole name.

I do have test kit for Magnesium and calcium. I check my calcium and it is 450.

I did not check my magnesium. What number should Magnesium be? BTW, my test kit is salifert.

I added my reef plus today. Anything else I need to add?

7. thang45

Sure,

My lighting is Coralife 48" 250w HQI and this is a new tank that has been cycled since Jan 10, 2009. I'm using RO water. Temp is 77F.

8. Click Here!

9. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

if you have a stronger light than where you bought them from you always want to start the corals at the bottom of your tank so they can get used to the light then gradually move them up to where you want them.

when you say nitrates are 2 what exactly is 2?

my nitrates run between .10-.20ppm

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I keep my magnesium at 1500

11. thang45

How can I bring up Alk to at least 12 dKH?

12. thang45

I checked my magnesium and the result is 1110ppm. I think I need 1500ppm, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Someone told me to buy the C-Balance, and for my case I think I need to use B bottle.

I'm guessing right now, if anyone sees this post please let me know if this is correct or not.

Many thanks.