Coral ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by whippy, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

So I thin I need to take the SPS off of the frag disk instead of taking the zoas off. The zoas have already spread pretty quickly and they're all around the perimeter of the disk.

Any ideas on removing the SPS from the disk?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is it on a disk? I don't see that in the picture? If it is, just remove the disk from the rock rather than the coral from the disk.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i think the monti is way cooler than zoas and would be funto watch grow, move the zoas imo

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

The SPS came on a disk with the zoas attached as well. They're all on the same disk so I'm trying to figure out how to take the SPS off the zoa disk to put it on it's own. The disk is just sitting on top of a rock. That's just a shot of part of the disk, not the disk and the whole big rock, LOL.

Monti's don't need huge amounts of lights but I'm thinking of gluing the monti disk (when I have it on it's own) to the back or side wall of the tank. Just for something different.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

How big is this disk I wonder because the picture makes it look pretty large?

Unfortunately, if the sps coral is not on it's own disk, the only way to remove it would be to break the disk that it's on.

As for montis not requiring a huge amount of light, I'm not sure that's true. Our montis all sit high up in the tank under metal halides. Also, if it's an acro, it's going to need a lot of light so until you're sure what it is, I would put it as close to the light as you possibly can (not sure what kind of lighting you have either?)

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

The disk is 3" across or so. It is a large disk.
    I have T5 lighting (pockets are not deep enough for MH just yet) so the frag is definitely up high in the tank. It's pretty happy and extended so I must be doing something right. It looks like it's grown just a little around the edges too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I never really planned on adding any SPS to the tank so I'm figuring it out as I go, ya know?

10. Kovu

Kovu Fire Worm

If you want t he montipora to be off then break the disc

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Some ppl don't consider Monti's a true "sps" because most don't require the high flow or light. Actually there's quite a few that will do well in as little as 3 watts.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yup, that's the only way you'll be able to remove the sps at this point. Now, if it turns out that the sps coral is a branching type of coral, you will be able to snap off a branch once it grows. I'm not sure that you have the luxury of waiting to see if that happens though. If you try to scrape the coral off, it will break into several pieces and most likely die.