coral help

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by billielewis3, Oct 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

2 250watt MH, and 2 t5ho lights

these to coral are white, and have been for a while, never seen them anyother color, whats up with that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both coral are a bit over 2 feet away from the light, over a foot underneath the water .

water prams are good

t5's come on from 830am till 11 pm,
    the HM are on from 1030am till 9pm

i have a maxijet1200 power head at 250 GPH, a hydor korilia magnum 5 at 2650 GPH, and my sump return pump is putting out about 600 GPH, for 3500 total flow, for 38 times turnover.

other coral are happy and colorful, clams doing ok, and fish are healthy

thanks everyone.

-billie

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I hate to tell you this, but you have coral no more. What you're looking at is a stony skeleton.

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, those guys look like they are long gone. Did you buy them like that?

5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Did they have any color to them when you bought them or were they white just like they are now?

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

i bought this whole tank set up from a guy who already had everything, only thng ive added was the yello tang and the 3 damsels. they were like that when i got them, 2-3 weeks ago.. :(

how/why does this happen and is it preventable?

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Your lights are on for way to long as well. Shoot for roughly 6 hours with the halides and about 8-9 with the t5s.

The corals look dead or close to it. it seems as though they may have some polyps on them, but that could just be me wanting to give you some good news. Is there any flesh on them or polyps at all?

What are your actual parameters? Good is useless. Exact numbers are helpful and allow for a better answer to help you in the long run.

Too much light, parameters out of wack, improper dosing, not enough flow, etc.

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

turned the lights off as soon as i read that., ill need to figure out how to reprogram that later..

perams are :
    temp: (w/ MH) 80 (w/o MH) 78
    SG: 1.026
    PO4: .03
    KH/Alk: 10.2 dKH
    Ca: 460
    pH: 8.3
    NO2-: 0
    NO3-: 0
    NH3/Nh4-: 0

i just added the hydor magnum 5 pump yesterday, so maybe the flow was an issue with them? the guy i got it from had it for 9months before he sold it to me, and only ever had a maxijet 1200 in there, nothing over 300 GPH ever touched this tank untill now.

at teh base of the frag the the coral is a very slight hint of green, the polyps that are showing are lime green, but most of the coral is white, id say only about 20-25% of the polyps are extended on both pieces of coral. is there still hope or should i put them out of their missurry? why would it be just these two pieces, thats what i dont understand :/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  11. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I would say if there is no algae growning on it, it is still alive.I would keep them.You might be very surprized what they turn out to be.Has it recently developed the green base?If so keep doing what you have.Good luck.

12. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

alright ill keep them in, you can only notice the green when the MH are off and its just the T5HO's on.