Coral Beauty's face torn up

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Ishymishy77, Aug 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

On Wednsday I purchased a coral beauty, I realize that the new comer was going to be chased around a bit so I turned lights off and rearranged some rock but it didn't help. My yellow tang started chasing right away. Not to big of deal because there are plenty of places that the beauty can hide that the tang can't get to. Now the lawnmower Blenny was a different story. He chased her bad for the last couple of days. This morning I was checkin her out to see how they were all getting along and she came out of the rocks with a large chunk taken out of her face. We will call it her nose. We tried feeding but it doesn't look like she can even open her mouth. My fiance suggested maybe trying that new skin stuff( basically super glue) but my first thought was she would wiggle and I would get it in her eye and blind her or it would run down and glue her mouth shut. Is it possible anybody out there has any suggestions. Feeling a little helpless here.:-/

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, you have a handle on the dangers of superglue. Post a pic of this and let's see how bad it is.

4. HxCxHaley

HxCxHaley Astrea Snail

Connecticut. where i live doesnt exist on a map...
    im happy you didnt do the superglue thing...
    everyone thinks that fixes ANYTHING...
    but it doesnt. its not ductape... haha

1 person likes this.
  5. Ishymishy77

6. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

Super glue wont work ha ha. Just keep on watching it. I wouldn't worry about it to much. just make sure it doesn't get infected

7. Ishymishy77

Here is a pic from the front. Picture don't show how deep it is. But you can see things moving when she is breathing. When we feed them she swims up to the food but can't seem to open her mouth.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Agreed. Superglue might work well to join human skin to repair bad cuts, but it's neither filler nor spackle.

A fish with a missing chunk probably needs a safe place (like a hospital tank) to heal and regrow the missing flesh and scales. Filling a cavity on a fish's body with superglue might prohibit healing.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

having now seen the photo, thats the direction I would lean towards at present ( but counter opinions are always valuable)

If it where my fish, I believe thats what I would do
    been searching about various articles

the section below is not mine it is

cut and pasted from aquarium advice.com

Injury:

If the fish has been injured, it’s own body will do most of the work. Your participation will include:
    • 1) Remove to a quarantine/hospital tank
      2) Feeding; small amounts, several times per day (feed medicated food if possible)
      3) Maintaining good water quality
      4) Observation for secondary infection
      5) Return fish to display aquarium after it is completely healed

1 person likes this.
  11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

A hospital tank would be best for the wounded fish, or you could try to get the tang out and give the others a break from the harassment. Your going to need some serious patience to get any of those fish out tho.

~Will.

12. Ishymishy77

Ain't that the truth. The tang has actually stopped chasing. The Blenny on the other hand is just being a pain. I would rather catch the Tang, he is easy compared to the blenny.