Coral beauty health

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Kernsreef, Oct 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kernsreef

Kernsreef Plankton

Hi all,

I have had my 75 gal. salt set up for around a year or so. I have around 70 lbs of live rock with some random mushroom corals and ricordias along with a good community group of fish. Everything in the tank is doing great. I've had a coral beauty angel for around 6 months or so and never had a problem. I noticed today that its not eating and swimming slowly. I also saw yesterday for the first time my cleaner shrimp was on him and "cleaning" him. I've never noticed the angel let him do this before.

I tested the parameters and all is in check(o nitrates, ph stable, etc.) There hasn't been any changes or additions for the last few months. The only thing I can think of is that I began experimenting fragging a mushroom coral I have last night. A lot of white discharge came out of the center when I cut it, and believe I killed it(the fragged piece). Still researching this... I'm unsure what's going on with the angel.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

What are you feeding your fish? Pigmy (dwarf) angels have special dietary needs that include marine sponge and algae along with other meaty foods. Without that, they can eventually become lethargic and stop eating. A good grade frozen marine angelfish blend will include those items.

BTW, your mushroom frag should be fine. :)

4. Kernsreef

Kernsreef Plankton

Thanks, I've been feeding him brine shrimp and other meaty foods along with a flake food. He's eating again and seems fine. Not sure what was going on with him.

5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Spirulina, Spirulina, Spirulina. Make sure your flake food has a lot of Spirulina in it as this will dramatically increase the fish's immune system.