Coral Banded Shrimp lost his antenna.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Blade_Runner, Jan 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

This is weird. My CBS has always had the longest antenna and normally hides during the day. I'd find him by looking for the tips poking out from behind some rocks. Lately, he has been hanging out more in the open. The little monster seems fine, but I noticed that his antenna are gone. Has this happened to anyone? Could it be just because of a molt? There really isn't anyone in the tank that should be picking on him, only tangs, damsels and clowns. They all will eat krill if given the chance, but picking on a CBS is inviting a claw in the face and they normally keep their distance.

Weird huh?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Mine pretty much does the same thing. Hides most of the time but every once in a while it starts hanging out during the daylight hours. Nothing I have messes with it ;D
    It probably was a bad molt, they will probably come back with the next one.
    They are little witches IMO and I wish my wife had not bought this one.

Jim

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

:laughing0 Yeah, I know. I keep waiting for it to do something bad. Thus far, I think, he has been a good boy. He may have zapped 1 cleaner shrimp, but 2 others have made it for over a year and they hang within inches of each other at times.

We do call him Igor for a reason... :devil1:

5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

He may have lost the antenna during a "wardrobe malfunction" while molting, or he may have gotten them stuck on something. Don't worry about the antenna, it will grow back after the next molt.
    I bought a BCS (CBS?) last month, and he lost both of his claws at the LFS when they were capturing him (they then let me have him for half price). He shed his skin this week and I was pleased to see that he grew two new claws.
    My previous banded coral shrimp lost a claw when he got it stuck in some macro-algae. It grew back.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    you can call your shrimp janet! lol:laugh5: