coral and ich

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Infantry1327, Apr 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I just ordered some armor of god polyps last night. I am supposed to pick them up from the shop on sunday. But I just got home from work and my Powder Brown Tang is covered in Ich. I have started treating the water so hopeing he will pull through, but will the Ich or the rid Ich hurt the coral. Unfortunitly I don't have a quarentine tank yet

2. Click Here!

3. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

honestly i have fought ich for awhile now.. i did a QT tank with a Powder brown and had him in it for close to a month.. he showed no signs after a month under hypo so i raised it back up and he was fine.. second i transfered him to my tank he was iched out.

I treated with kick ich and all types of ich treatments in the past with no success and have read everything about ich on the web.. in my own experience just let it be.. keep your skimmer running maybe run a UV sterilizer and feed lots of nori soaked in garlic or buy the nori that has garlic in it already. Try to stay out of the tank and give the tang lots of hiding spots. It will go away on its own.. maybe add vit C in the tank. He will be fine.. the more you worry and try and fix the problem the more the tang will stress and show more signs of ich.

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You will be fine with the coral ;)

5. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Thanks, I havent had my hand in the tank really at all, I have a magnet cleaner tht I use for the glass. He has plenty of hideing spots. I am using the kordon rid ich+ and all my levels are good and temp is pretty stable. I have heard that Powder Browns can get ich if you so much as look at them funny. But I am more concered about the coral i will be putting in the tank. Does Ich affect coral and does the medicine affect it to?

6. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

7. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

No coral does not get ich. and as far as kordons ich medicine.. its just an enhanced vitamin K solution.. Do not bother with it.. if you look up naphthoquinone which kordons is 95% of its just vitamin k, and for 17 bucks a bottle which i was told to dose 3 times a day at 3 times the recommended dose it got expensive and does not work.

8. Click Here!

9. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

NM i was thinking of kordons ich attack.. never used rid ich.

10. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

Just looked it up and make sure your not dosing with inverts, such as snails, hermits, lol corals!!!!
    Rid·Ich+ is not recommended for use in aquariums containing invertebrates and may cause severe stress or death to some of these animals. If Rid·Ich+ must be used in aquariums containing invertebrates, tests should be performed to determine a particular animal's tolerance to this medication.
    Kordon LLC - Kordon - Rid-Ich+

1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

But I do agree with door. The best treatment is good water and good diet. I have had a few fish that I had gotten with ich already, and none of mine have ever had it more than 2 days or has it spread.
    Add garlic, selcon, and vitamin c to the food. If your real worried, you can soak a little flake food in some melafix and feed the affected fish that. A little more direct treatment than just dosing the tank. But keep them in a good enviroment with good food, and they will thank you for it ;)

12. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I only feed them ocean Nutrition Green Marine Algae with garlic, and frozen marine cuisine that has brine shrimp, krill, and algae extract in it. I will get some more vitamin C enriched food tomarro and try and add some more garlic to his diet. I work at petco so I get a pretty good deal on food and we carry kents nutrients. I also have some flake food, but havent used it yet.

The only inverts I have are turbo snails and a coral banded shrimp, but he seems to be fine. I just did a 10% water change yesterday and tested the water. Everything looked good. I will do another water change tomaro and add some vitamins. I will also return the rid ich and start running my canister filter as well.

Thanks again

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009