Coral and anemone feeding....

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by dpruitt7450, Aug 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

-When should I feed my corals and anemone?
    -At night or with the lights on, and target feed or defrost them in a cup of water and dump it?
    -And what should I feed them?
    My lfs said to feed the coral this frozen food mix, it has Rotifera, cyclops Copepods, monia, phytoplanton, spriulina, and potassium. And for the anemone they said krill.... What do you guys think?
    Thanks for you help!
    David;D

2. Click Here!

3. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i feed direct my corals zooplex about twice a week. and anenomes should be feed krill. also for corals it depends on how much light you have i your tank if you have lower output lights you should feed more often

4. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

also i would say to feed during regular lighting

5. dpruitt7450

So feed corals and anemone during normal daylight?

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Most of my corals (mostly LPS) don't open up and put their feeders out till about an hour after lights out. I spot feed krill, mysis, cyclo. I rotate foods out and only spot feed every 5 days or so. You can feed more, but even with a small turkey baster a lot of food gets into the water so unless you have a great cuc, you may spike nutrients and get some algae.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

IMO you should feed just before lights out.. For corals anyhow. In nature corals feed at night because there is less predation. If you target feed at dusk they will absorb it during the night.... But be careful with feeding at all. In most tanks, feeding the fish puts enough food in the system for the corals.

What type of anemone and what kind of lighting do you have?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Exactly. Also, corals are animals and will adapt to their new environment- IOW, they will learn to feed when food is available.

10. dpruitt7450

I have 3 250 watt mh and a long tentical

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

With your lighting, I wouldn't feed the nem at all, and the corals very little. You have some very strong lighting (assuming decent quality reflectors) Even with an all in one unit you should have enough light for the corals to get a vast majority of there food from the zooxanthellae. The nem will almost definitely be fine. If not, just watch it and put no more than a small slither of krill a week at most.

Just an fyi... For probably 95% of newer tank owners (less than a few years of keeping a particular coral) I would say they hurt more than they help trying to feed the corals or anemones. The extra No3 and Po4 (nitrate and phosphate) it adds to the system is far more detrimental than the benefit of the additional foods.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  12. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

On the subject of feeding corals at one of the LFS near me they carry Phytomax, Zoomax, and Chromamax by KENT. They all say for inverts and corals but Which should be used for what?