Coral Acclimation

Discussion in 'Coral' started by rcflyer1388, Dec 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Excellent article and video. Thanks for sharing.

4. rcflyer1388

I finally decided to get some new additions of SPS from AquaSD (the best place and people to purchase from). I decided to follow these acclimation guidelines from the article for a change instead of the drip method. Whether it's the right or wrong method, I've never seen such quick polyp extension from the new frags. I was amazed. I used the water they came in to put some coral Rx solution in. After 5 min I just dropped them in the tank like the video "and acclimated" lol. They perked right up and look happy with color returning quickly. Thought I'd share the info for anyone interested. :)

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I always place my coral in the tank immediately. I've only had one RTN on me. I just always felt that it was necessary to get it out of the bag and into ideal conditions immediately; the corals will adjust. I am also too lazy and anxious to acclimate them to their new home.

I never felt that chemical treatments were necessary and felt that they were harmful until I got red bugs. I treated everything once and then things were fine.

6. rcflyer1388

I'm a believer now of doing that. I used to drip them and always lost one or two.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I have never used the drip method. Raising the PH in bagged water causes the ammonia to become more toxic.Great link!!

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I used to drip them, now I basically float and add water to the bag once or twice before placing it in the tank. Corals clsoe up when stressed so CA and Mag arent as big a deal and my dealers keep their coral tanks abotu the same SG as I do. I think major temo adjsutments are what can be msot harmful which is why I still float

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Such an awesome video!

Corals are a lot tougher than we give them credit for! I've been dipping and dropping corals in for years and have never had any problems arise from it. I've also gotten into the habit of transporting corals, even SPS, without water about a half an hour from my home to work. They never even skip a beat. It's funny now looking back on what I used to go through just to add a zoa frag.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

A friend who has a couple coral farms in Fiji used to laugh at people who said exposure to air would kill things.Most reefs are exposed to air/sun at low tide.;)
    If they were so sensitive none would survive.

12. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie