Coppersafe?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by ianaco70, Jan 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

SIck Tang/Coppersafe?

I just added a blue hippo tang to my tank. I started to notice that my yellow tang had some little bumps on his skin and was paler probably because of the stress from the new fish. I also noticed a few nips on his tail also. I was worried this may be ick or some parasite. He eats fine and swims like normal every now and then hell rub up agianst a rock but thats about it. He looks somewhat better today than yesterday may be recovering. Just wanted to know if I should still use the coppersafe I bought or If i should wait and see if the fish naturally recovers??? Also has any one used coppersafe it says one tsp per 4 gallons I have a 90 gallon tank and would have to use 25tsp it sounds like alot.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. TankBoyME

TankBoyME Astrea Snail

Any other tank mates?
    How are your water conditions?
    I just got rid of an ich breakout! I hiked up the temp, and fed w/ garlic soak. I was afraid chemical treatment would mess up my anemone. I also noticed some nitrate increase, so bought some absorbers. I'd try to go all natural until last resort.
    I bought some Kordon Ich Attack just in case, but never had to use it... I got VERY close though!!

1 person likes this.
  4. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

Thanks for the response. Other fish look fine. Water conditions are fine, I keep the heat at 80 degrees. I dont want to add chemicals either but dont want my fish to died. I have it on stand by incase the tang gets worse but dont know if I show be cautious and use it. Also I dont know how it will affect my macro algae.

5. TankBoyME

TankBoyME Astrea Snail

Any recovery is good. If it IS Ich, just make sure the white spots stay away from the gills. I'd feed with garlic soaked food in order to boost the immune system.

6. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I just noticed that my Starry Blenny is flashing/scratching on the LR. I do not want to add any meds to the the tank. Any suggestions?

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Definetly NO MEDS.

Fish may be stressed for some reason.

I would do couple of back to back water changes.

Get a skunk cleaner shrimp.

Keep eye on.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Could just be that it's got an itch. :) Leave it alone unless you notice abrasions and or "dots" on it. I don't know what water changes would accomplish but I wouldn't do any.

10. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Don not ever add copper or meds to display tank! will make tank and rock unsafe for inverts. Meaning snails, shrimp, and others will perish in short time!

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

If the fish are in your 24, take them out, put them in a quarantine tanks and treat them. only problem with this is when you return them to the tank there is a good Chance that there will be another outbreak.

Some say you should wait a few weeks before returning them to allow for the ICH cycle to complete. Then you should be able to safely return them with out fear of any recurrences.
    Basically this is how the Ich cycle goes, a free swimming "tomite" locates a host fish, and attaches itself to it's host. In this stage (the attachment stage) the protozoan is called a trophont. It burrows into the host, eating it's insides. In time the trophont fattens up and prepares to reproduce. It makes a white 'cyst' (which is the spot you see on your fish), called a tomont, in which many tomites begin to develop. This tomont may 'hatch' either on the fish, or detach to fall to the substrate and there release the little tomites.

If there are no fish in the tank theoretically there is no food and all the little tomites die and are no more. I have never put this in practice but it seems logical to me...

Here is a really great ICH article.

Hope it helps a little bit.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Great "ICK" link gazog.

Am Adding to my favorite "ICK" related links...

ICK

(Cryptocaryon irritans)

[​IMG]

Marine "Ich" - ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site (Link provided by "gazog" - 3Reef)

Cryptocaryon irritans, Part One of Five - By Terry Bartelme

A Discussion of the Parasite and Treatment Options Part I, By Steven Pro

Marine Ick - Treatment Options Available Part II - Steven Pro

How to Identify & Prevent Saltwater Ich - LiveAqauria.com

Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) - Drs. Foster and Smith

Marine Ich, Cryptocaryoniasis - Webmedia.com

More information on White spot Disease - Fishbase.org

[​IMG]

[​IMG]