Coppere treatment question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by misfitsghost, Sep 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. misfitsghost

misfitsghost Plankton

Can snowflake eels withstand small doses of copper treatment like fish with ich? My eel doesnt look like it has any symptoms of ich but i was in my tank. I quarentined it with my inverts but would like to put him back into the main tank as soon as possible.

2. Click Here!

3. misfitsghost

misfitsghost Plankton

PLEASE HELP i would like to start asap

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're doing. If you are dosing the main tank, you will kill your bio-filter, which will cause your tank to cycle. You might ruin your LR and sand, as well. From my understanding, you can never get copper back out it.

If you have QTed the inverts for treatment, they will die. Bottom line, you need to treat the infected fish in the QT/HT. Period.

Sorry I can't honestly answer your question on the eel...

5. misfitsghost

misfitsghost Plankton

ok when i found the ich i removed my inverts into one quarentine tank and started to lower the salinity in my main tank to help fight the ich. i also removed my eel (into the quarentine tank with the inverts) because i wasnt sure it could stand the low salinity. now i have another differant quarentine tank to do a copper treatment for the fish from my main tank. Now my question is can i use the copper on my eel like i am going to do for my fish? Or should i not use copper to treat my eel and just quarentine him until the life cycle of the ich is over

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Did some research and found this:

CryptEels

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you do not want to expose your eel to any type of copper as it could kill him. On a plus side, they have a unique slime layer and scale that makes them usually very hardy and resistent to ich

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Never do a hyposalinity treatment and Copper treatment at the same time as it can be deadly to the fish. In my opinion, hyposalinity is more effective and safer. Hyposalinity needs to be done for around 4-6 weeks (6 weeks is better) and the Specific Gravity needs to be maintained between 1.009 and 1.010 during that time. Just in case you needed the info.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 on above!