Copepods and amphipods

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Josh1215, Feb 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Hey guys. I have a 55 gal LPS softie clam mixed reef w fish livestock of black and white clown, ocellaris clown, yellow fang blenny, high fin red banded goby, 6 line wrasse, and PB tang. Also coco worm and hawaiin feather duster, BTA and maxi mini carpet. No refugium or sump. CUC is a conch, tons of blue legged hermits and turbo snails, a few nassarius snails. HOB JNS-VS1 skimmer lots of flow and LED lighting. Tank is looking great!

Question is: is there any benefit to adding live copepods or amphipods to the tank? What do they do other than add diversity? Will my corals benefit?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can increase your already present pod population by feeding Phytoplankton, your clams might also benefit from some Phytoplankton.

My Clowns and smaller fish readily eat pods. For fish that are not eating during acclimation sometimes all they will eat is pods for a few days.

I have never intentionally added pods, never needed to. If you do plan on getting some sort Dragonets then yes additional pods would be beneficial.

4. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Thabks Corailline! I feed reef roids and aquavitro coral fuel...will this increase pods as well?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I imagine to some degree, but not to the extent phyto does.

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I don't think that adding pods will necessarily increase the amount. If you have a small system you will have a small amount and large system higher amount of pods. A refuge helps a lot.

7. JimmyV

JimmyV Plankton

I have added pods .I had absolutely no pods of any kind in my system . They are slowly growing in population