Copepods/Amphipods or debris?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by emu103, Dec 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. emu103

emu103 Plankton

Just got a new tank yesterday, after setting up the water was very murky from transport and other things.

After the filter was turned on the water cleared up pretty well, however I still notice lots of white debris floating around.

Also in the rear of the tank (aquapod 24g, like a bio/nano cube) there are these white floating objects that appear to move on their own will, and definitely amphipods squirming around in the filter

pics

[​IMG]
    amphipod on my filter

[​IMG]
    the back of the tank, these white specs move like alive

[​IMG]
    the white specs i assume are either unsettled sand or copepods. this pic is of the main tank

[​IMG]
    after moving one rock due to change of preference, the debris or copepods are higher in concentration from the disturbance. This pic is from the main tank

Im hoping that I have a high concentration of copepods, id really like to get a red mandarin and wouldnt mind getting a smaller tank to grow the copepods to sustain the fish. opinions?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Congrats on the buy! It's probably all of the above! How old was the tank when you bought it! You may want to look into a hob fuge to grow the pods! not really sure if that would work with your tank, but its a smaller option!

4. emu103

emu103 Plankton

The tank has been up and running for 5 or so years according to the previous owner, and he admittedly had neglected the tank for the last 1-1.5 years but it doesnt seem too far gone.

thanks for the reply

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

great buy!

Ya shaved 5 months off waiting for your tank to age, so ya won't have to be as patient as a new tank! plus ya prob saved a ton of cash that way! That being said, I'd let the tank run for a month before doing much! Maybe when it calms down, get a few cheap frags to see how they react! Also get a small cuc in there with a peppermint shrimp or 2 to start killing off any nasties that may be lurking!

have fun, keep reading and save some money, this hobby can be addicting!lol
    ryan!

6. emu103

emu103 Plankton

For clean up ive got 5 blue leg hermit crabs, a bigger turbo smail(i assume), and 2 bumble bee snails. Sound like a good cuc for my tank?

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Nope! Lol! About 40-50 short! Go to reefcleaners.com and look up your tank! He'll have a recommended cuc for ya! I think you'll be surprised how much u should have! But they're worth it! They do alot of the work for ya plus they're fun to watch!