copepod eat algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by razvan, Nov 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

would copepods feed on algae that grow when the light in the tank is on for a long time? wouldn't that be the phytoplankton?i read how some people grow their own phyto, so what i am asking has to be wrong, but why?also, i read that copepods feed on meaty foods too, so you don't really need phytoplankton to grow them, right?i blended some silversides and krill, my scooters don't look at it, but my snails sure love it.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

If you want to add pods, plankton, etc you should build a refugium. I don't think feeding snails is a very good idea either. They're for clean up, if you feed them then when are they going to clean up the stuff you don't want in there? Unless you want lots of algae and nitrates...

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, copepods and amphipods eat algae. Not quite sure what your question/idea is.

5. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

sorry,

what i meant was that i tried to feed my scooters some blended stuff, and they rejected. the snail cleaned it up. i don't really feed the snails.

i have been reading about cultivating phytoplankton for the past few days, but i thought that i might not need any if copepods can feed on algae and meatty leftovers.
    I do have a refugium, but i was thinking to jumpstart my tanks colony in both the tank and the refugium.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Copepods/amphipods will eat meaty leftovers. I wouldn't count on mine to clean-up as the rest of my clean-up crew does. I only consider mine as a source of food. With the added benefit that they are detrivores etc.....

7. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I don't think letting them feed on meaty leftovers is such a good idea, once again, I think you'll just end up with excessive waste (nitrates, etc). Just let your refugium take it's time and do it's job right...

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Copepods and amphipods primarily eat microalgae, but even so the amount they eat is unnoticable for the most part. To feed the scooter I would try frozen fish eggs, try the LFSs in your area and ask if they can get you some. OR go out to an asian food market and buy capeline roe, BUT look for stuff that isn't flavored or filled w/ MSG. Phytoplankton can be an annoyance to cultivate, some people do not mind it, people like me have no time or patience for empty 2 liters and airstones just to grow green water. Typically what eats phyto are filterfeeders like clams,scallops,some softies and small zooplankton such as rotifers.

Good luck

10. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

thanks, i just received in the mail my copepods and i am trying to multiply them.

on Ocean Pods: FAQ they say that you could feed copepods flake food, as long as you don't overfeed.

so that is my project right now.

thanks for the input i will look for the fish eggs.

11. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I feed my scooter brine shrimp, mysis, and blood worms. He also gets pods from the live rock.

12. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Agree...
    seed my fuge with pods...and suppliment fuge with photoplex...to feed the pods...works great.
    Tried to give my blue tank a bit'o seaweed to eat and the turbo snail came up and destroyed it...fast!...Dont want to feed the snails...they got work to do enough. : )
    LG