Coolworks IceProbe Chiller

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

2. Click Here!

3. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Don't know much about it but if you look in the Marine Depot catalog, they actually stick this on a simple hang on filter cover, which would be nice so don't have to worry about leaks.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that's what I'll do on my TetraTec filter if I can.

I think I'll order this tonight.

I am stalling to hear from Gresham who has one. Doing a search, he seems to like it and says it will lower a 20 gallon tank about 8 degrees.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Matt, How is the Chiller working out?

Any updates

J

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well the controller works great, but I wouldn't recommend it for a nano with a halide like mine. Maybe if I had a 75 watt halide instead of a 150. But I've got it totally open top now, lamp suspended with a computer fan on it and I still have a hard time keeping it from creeping up to 85 even when the house is 72 degrees.

Of course, how many people have a 150w halide on a 20 hex. It's nutty.

I say one probe is good for up to a 10 gallon nano. After that, it strains. I've got about 15 gallons of water, maybe a little more with the skimmer and filter.

Don't get me wrong, it helps, I definitely noticed when I went a couple weeks recently without it after cracking the mount I made. But I am not satisfied for my setup.

For the money, you can get that 1/3 horsepower Coralvue chiller when it comes out in August. I am thinking about that, so I can have the most rediculus 20 hex setup of all time!  ;D ::)

(Actually I bought this hex used and I think it was quite old, the silicone is coming off like string cheese now, so I doubt I have much time before I will be forced to upgrade. Probably get a 37 cube or try to fix my 75 if I don't move again next year.)

Anyway, it's very cool and works well, but won't work on most tanks unless you add more probes and then it's not cost effective because you could buy a real chiller for that kind of money.

hope that helps,
    matt