cooling my tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by miketoocool2, Jul 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. miketoocool2

miketoocool2 Plankton

my tank is in a room that does not get much cool air in it right now and the room temp is constantly 85 but im keeping my tank temp around 78 but it is taking up too much time. If i put an A/C unit in the room and keep the room temp at 65 will the tank temp lower?

2. Click Here!

3. chase19

chase19 Feather Duster

yep. do you have a hood on your tank?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes it will but as of how much it depends upon the how much heat your lights put out

5. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Even if he's got hot lights, at 65 he'll be fine, as long as the hood is well ventilated with fans.

6. mandarin11

Before you spend all the money on an AC I would look into a chiller if you're only getting the AC for the tank. Look into which consumes more power, which is more costly to run, etc.

7. miketoocool2

miketoocool2 Plankton

i have a 24 gal. aquapod which has a hood with a 32 watt Dual SunPaq Daylight, one 32 watt Dual SunPaq Actinic and two Nocturnal Blube Lunar lights. plus i have a turbo twist uv sterilizer on the tank which i dont use right now because it heats the water way too much

8. Click Here!

9. miketoocool2

miketoocool2 Plankton

i have a 24 gal. aquapod which has a hood with 32 watt Dual SunPaq Daylight, one 32 watt Dual SunPaq Actinic and two Nocturnal Blube Lunar lights. i also have a turbo twist uv sterilizer which is not on right now because it heats the water too much.

10. miketoocool2

miketoocool2 Plankton

i already have the a/c unit laying around the house and i can use it to cool the room because i cant stand the heat. also teh hood has 2 cooling fans in it

11. mandarin11

For that size tank you could buy the smallest chiller they make pretty much. I'd shop around.

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Why buy a chiller when the A/C is free? And he already said he wanted to cool the room because he can't stand the heat.

I keep my A/C at 77 (timer that only runs it from 11:30am to 10:30pm) and my heater at 79. My tank fluctuates from 80 (night) to 81 (day) during the summer and stays at 79 during the winter. No chillers, no fans (but no Metal Halides either). I think 65 degrees is throwing money out the window (literally).