cooling fans

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rc_mcwaters3, Sep 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

My t5 fixture is running a little hot it does not have any internal fans but has the exaust vents for the capiability so I want 2 one pushing air into the fixture and one pulling it out. I need about a 120mm fans preferably with a built on thermostat, adaptable to 12v plug, quiet, and fairly cheep.

any sugestions Placment of fan selection and what type of fans?

Left
    [​IMG]

middle
    [​IMG]

right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

If it were me, I would simply just have a fan blowing air over top of the fixture. Simpler, cheaper, and likely just as effective.

4. rc_mcwaters3

I have thought about it just a clip on but I just dont know if it will be efective

how would you do it?

5. gabbyr189

I'm not really familiar with your setup.. Do you have a canopy? If so, then I would just mount them somewhere in there. If not, then it'll be a little harder lol. It doesnt look like you have a canopy based on the pictures. You might have to clip it to the side of the tank. You could also clip it to that overflow if you get a lightweight fan.

What brand are the lights? I suppose they should be able to handle the heat if they came without a built-in fan. If its heating up your tank, then thats a different story. If you do not have a canopy, then it will be very difficult to hide them lol..

6. rc_mcwaters3

it is heating the tank which is why I started to think to help cool them off will help cool the tank off. Ebay lights they are no names

no canopy just the plastic legs

7. gabbyr189

Do you have a sump? The way I used to solve this problem in my old tank was I had a fan blowing over the water in my sump/fuge. You would want the fan facing horizontally, blowing right across the surface. It effectively cooled down my tank during the summer months, and was nicely hidden. Its definitely worth a shot!

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

yes I have a sump and I have a box fan lying around here some where evaparation will be nuts but hey its just water ;D

10. TurboPhish

TurboPhish Astrea Snail

11. gabbyr189

Try that out, let us know how it goes! If you don't see results, then I would try to blow air over that light fixture. If you have a bookshelf or some piece of furniture next to the tank, you could put a fan on there and face it over the tank. You will figure out something. You could also in invest in a chiller, but IME, fans have made that investment unnecessary.

I may add that I was a college student when I used the fan apparatus. I had my tank in my apartment at school. I used the fan when I was home for summer vacation and left the air-conditioning off. This was in a third floor apartment, and it got hot in there lol. IME a chiller was not necessary :) But if you have the money, then go for it.

This is interesting. Does it have a thermostat or something? I'm not exactly sure what a thermister is lol. If so it is a good idea. I had mine attached to my apex (w/a temp probe), so it would turn on if the water got too warm. But for someone without an aquarium controller, this seems like a good option (again, if it has a thermostat).

Though, if it were me, I would probably just get a cheapo fan and have it on 24/7. If the tank got too cool, then the heaters would kick in ;) But thats just me! (Saving money where I can).

12. rc_mcwaters3

right noe the tank glass temp is reading around 80 which is fine the digital top fin temp guage has read dince last night 87+ :p I think its a crappy temp guage cause there is no way its that hot the heater is esnitaly off I have it set on 75 and both the glass guages are reading 78-80 plus the other digital guage in the sump is reading 76 so there is just no way lol its going back to petsmart today.

pluged the boxz fan in last night and it is maintaning at 80 by the manuel guage in the tank which I can handle just fine the light fixture is also cooler. I have it set on the floor so half get in the sumo while the other blows up the side of the tank