Cooling fan install on a hood (96 powerquad or other)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jasno999, Dec 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Never mind ;)

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Im not an engineer, im a teenager. I was just trying to keep 3reef peaceful, and say what i "thought". But i do understamd why you said what you said. I should have said "i think" instead of yada yada. I was finishing a 5 page essay on the book "to kill a mockingbird" and was tired of properly wording things when i posted that. I did not realize that not everyone knows exactly what i meant. I apologize and hope i did not portray myself as an arse.
    Bobby K.

4. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

All is cool. No worries.

5. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

If you have a custom canopy like mine, you need pleanty of air vents on the opposite side as the fan. I have a desk fan blowing right now. If I were to install two fans to reduce evaporation you would put them both facing outwards, Tangster? My guess would be one blowing in and the other one out to create more air flow.. any help is appreciated, you all seem very knowledgable here!

So the small diagram makes sense:(XO= fan , ~= water)

My guess= [ XO--> ~ ~ ~ XO--> ]

Tangster's view?= [ <--OX ~ ~ ~ XO--> ]

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i just came back from the not so local radioshack and found that they had two 98CFM fans for like 10 bucks each, but they are for computers. I think if i get a 120v AC to 12v DC adapter and wire them up to the correct wires they will run and put some air flow in my canopy i am planning. They also had some nice 430nm LEDs for 5 bucks a piece.....Hmmm DIY?

7. jasno999

if you face them both outwards and there is no holes for inlet air to get it then the fans will not do anything... They need air to pull thru the unit or else they just try to create a vacume and don't cool anyhting.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I like to have all of mine pulling from out of totally enclosed hood aka the plenum and I like to have them like the because hot air rises a bit faster then cooler air creating a little evaporative cooling in the process ' and by pulling in fresh cool air along the entire rear length of my hoods then all the new cool air falls right onto the water's surface and all the hot air ir removed faster. Buy pushing and pulling you are not wrong and it will work, But for every degree you lower the water by pulling out warm air then on the opposite end you are pushing the hot air across the entire length of the cooler water and as I mentioned then all those just removed heat molecules just get sent right back into the water. But as I said what you have now will work.. But this is how I'd and do remove air Tangster's view?= [ <--OX ~ ~ ~ XO-->

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Look at W.W Grainger's Axial fan's never found a fan at Rat shack wort bring home And Icecrap is pricy junk if you need a fan ? P/M me I have a few used ones I can hook up with..

11. rkemp

rkemp Astrea Snail

I use an old computer power supply to run a couple of computer fans to bring fresh air into the canopy, the old power supply is a perfect DYI 120v to 12v converter.

12. jasno999

Huh? What you are saying makes no sense to me. IF you have a totally encosed hood then that means there is noplace for air to get in except for the holes where the fans are located. So if you have all your fans pointed in the same direction there will be no air to pull out. Basically you create a vacume and nothing happens.....

IF you have openings in the hood then there is a place for air to get in. If that is the case then fine you will pull some of the room air in. However if the inlets space is small you might not be able to suck enough air in to do a whole lot of cooling. And you might create a pressure drop that will cause the fans to lose flow and therefor efficiency....

As for the water temperature thing you are talkign about- that makes no sense whatsoever. If you have a hood and there are 4 holes on the top of the hood then air goes in 2 and out the other two. That air goes up and never contacts the water or the tank so it would never cause an increase in water temperature.......