Cooling fan install on a hood (96 powerquad or other)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jasno999, Dec 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well there you go..:) But being an engineer then you understand the actions of heat molecule and their attraction of any material or area that is void of them..Blowing cool air in will just push the heat molecules into the water and ambient air under the hood or in the strip.. That will raise them and then once the air is holding all the heat is can then it goes to the water..

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have a 12 gallon nano cube. My fans work on the same concept as tangster said. The fans blow out to pull the heat out of the hood.

4. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nope- there are two exhaust outlets on the otehr side of the lamp at the rop. It should jsut push air thru the lamp and out into the room on the otehr side of the lamp...

By the way go back and re-read my last post as I edited it for you.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL nope you did not hurt my brain at all .. I've dealt with engineers and mechanical draftsmen and architect's all my working carer of all types form Hydraulic to pneumatic on to electrical Never was allowed to think in theory when I was called in to the job all the theories had been exhausted and they needed the Chiller or transformer to work as they where all standing around the coffee maker begging for water to come through the pipe and In theory that pump should have pushed the city water from the main up to that 15 floor :)

In this Hobby as with My former Business I was retired form I deal in what works never theory thats just an Idea or opinion one gets paid to come up with Kind of like oral opening we all have one :)

At the end of they day I have caught them in more mistakes then a few :) Drawing on paper is is far different from make it all work in the real world.. But as I said you are way ahead of me the fan should not be a problem what ever way you put it back together maybe the engineer should have given the manufacture schematic of the mechanical workings of it.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

All that really needs to be said is "if you blow them into the canopy, warm air will meet your water and maybe heat it up ~1 degree and defeat its whole purpose, whereas if it blows outward, the hot air is sucked out of the hood and away from the canopy/fixture/hood and it doesnt come in contact with the water.....".
    PLease keep 3reef a peaceful, no-grudge/dislike website, so if one person posts his/her opinion either accept it or disregard it and do what u want, cause if you fault you could have listened or vice versa.

Bobby K.

7. jasno999

Again you are wrong aquaboy.... Tangster and I agree I think in the fact that does not matter both ways should work. I was just trying to explain that it is eaiser on the fan when the fan is sitting in the colder environment or pushing the air from the cold Environment. It is harder on the fan to push the hot air....

That is why you typically see fans sucking air thru a cold air heat exchanger like an evaporator and pushing air thru a hot heat exchanger like a condenser.

However aquaboy I dissagree with your statment. The fans are on the top left side of the unit. On the exact opposite top side position are two outlets. The air has noplace else to go but thru the light housing and out of the top exhaust holes. The air has no way of heading torwards the water and adding to the heat load of the tank.....

Oh and Tangster I hear you there are a lot of engineers out there that don't have a clue how things work in reality but there are also a lot of engineers out there that do have real world experience. You should not make generalizations, as I have seen things work both ways. I have seen stupid engineers and stupid workers in the field.... No need to generalize a person based on their profession.....

I am using real world facts and methodology... Like I said in most applications the fan will have the coldest air go thru it... In this application that is air from the room not from inside the housing...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222s_gurl

ziggy222s_gurl Plankton

they always blow the air outward from the fixture.idk why but i figure if the air blew inward then the fan side of the fixture closest to the fan would run too cold.if the fan is blowing the hot air from the fixture then temp of the whole length of the bulb is likely more uniform.i don't have a degree in anything but welding so i just quessing.

10. tsouth

tsouth Astrea Snail

Lets start a trend and FLIP OUR FANS! Woohoo who's with me?!

11. jasno999

I had the same thought at first and I think there is a chance that the designers wanted it to work that way.... However I just felt that the fan worked better when pointed in the inward direction... If you take the fan out of the housing you see it is inside it's own plastic housing to protect things from hitting the blade (like your fingers). What I noticed was that when in the housing point outward the flow was little to nothing. I think this is due to the design of the plastic housing…. When reversed around the flow was better….

Who knows the one side of my light might be cooler than the other but I bet either way will work. I have felt the top of the fan a few times and it seems pretty cool so I am going to stick with the inward flow configuration….. I get the best solution would be to buy 2 more fans (you can get exact replacements) and install them on the other side to blow in the outward direction….. Just not sure if I want to go thru the wiring and mounting when it is not really needed.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

this is a typical thread, you ask a simple question and get a 4 page synopsis.