Cool i have ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by PorkyBubs, Feb 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

So i got 4 new fish to my 55 gallon, of course 1 had ich and 1 had some other parasite on it. Killed one of my old golbies and now my new Powder blue tang has ich all over. My blue skinny fish (sorry i don't know its name but if u could tell me that would be great) is eating it off of him. Should i put the blue tang in his own tank and due an ich remover or do you think the blue guy can handle it?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

is it a cleaner wrasse?

if possible i would treat the tang, tangs and ich dont mix well

4. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

I answered you in the other thread. Please go back there, and read+follow my answer. You need to provide the answers requested in the thread. Please fill out this form: http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/asap-please-start-here-54456.html

for those looking for the original thread, it is here: http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/golbys-sick-59026.html

You have livestock dead, and dieing, you need to fill out forms and provide the requested information so that we know what's going on in your tank, not blow us off when we ask you, which is what's happened here.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  5. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Yes its a cleaner wrasse

Ill go test it and get back to you guys. Alright.

6. trelane

Your tank is also too small for a blue tang. Tangs _REQUIRE_ between 75 and 150+ gallons. The Blue Hippo Tang especially swims around a lot and creates a large bioload and isn't suitable for tanks <90 gallons. It needs to go back to the LFS if possible.

I hate to keep pointing out where things went wrong but it seems like a huge lack of due diligence has occurred here, I also feel like you've been evasive, and somewhat ambivalent towards your livestock. These decisions have left you where your are now.

7. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Ok
    Nitrate 150 (extremly high?) Should i do another Water change of 25% i did about a 10% water change today.
    nitrite .5
    Alkalinity 250
    PH 8.4 (high as well)

If i read all these correctly. (all the colors are so much alike :()

Salt is .19 going to raise to .22 (just did a water change)

The LFS told me to raise the temp of my water from 77 to 80-82 to help kill ich.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

are you sure you nitrate is 200 hundred, that is rediculously high. you want to shoot for under 10, for corals and inverts.
    i would def do another water change.
    its kinda bad that you have nitrites. i wouldn't add anything else tell you get that under control too.
    your ph is a little high but i would focus on the other stuff too.
    if you keep your salinty low it will help kill ich. if your not going to treat you may want to slowly lower your salinity to 1.012 over a week. look in to something called hypo salinity and follow that. you after you follow the treatment raise the salinity back up to 1.026

also im guessing you meant 1.019 because hydrometers dont go to 1.19 i think. if the hypo instructions tell you something different then lower you salinity to 1.012 over a week, follow them not my suggestion, i don't know it off the top of my head.

edit: don't treat with chemicals if you do hypo, only do one or the other

10. trelane

It's very high, which is indicative of a recent ammonia spike. Unless someone has evidence to the contrary, your tank is cycling. You've added too many fish too fast. Take the tang back, and treat for Ich. Do another 10% water change tomorrow (water with salt, at specific gravity, and temperature). Do another test after the change. Keep doing 10% changes every day until the numbers come back in spec.

After the change tomorrow take a cup or so of water from the tank to the LFS for testing.

Post the results of the LFS test using the ASAP form I posted earlier in the thread.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  11. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Haha yeah on the salinity, i wasn't 100% sure it was a 1.19 or .19 or w.e but i knew i would be correct some where. Alright sounds good, i will do the following. Thanks for the help tips!

By the way i had to go purchase some test so i can test it myself. Thanks for the tips!

12. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Alright guys, i treated the tank for ich (exactly how my LFS said and the back of the instructions). I dosed it for 40 Gallons instead of 55 (i like to be less than more) this morning i wake up, no more ich, but sure as hell a lot of dead fish, coral buaty, powder tang, cinamin shrimp, and im sure some golbies but i dont see them. I know where i made mistakes, etc so thank you guys for the info of course this shouldnt happen agian (due to my knowlage now).

But on good new my two clowns lived, a large yellow tang, two cleaner wresles, 2 cleaner shrimp, and my corals!