Convict parents fighting each other!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by TroyShaw24, Jan 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

I have a breeding pair of Convict Cichlids that I have had for almost a year now. They have had 4 batches of babies and we have never had any problems other than today.

When I woke up this morning and flipped on there light I notice that the parents were fighting, and I mean hard core fighting. Like to the death non stop :(. The males right eye is even tore up a little. All there fry are still there. Water parameters are great. I just don't understand. I don't want them to kill one another. There is nothing else in the tank with them either that could have provoked this other than the fry. Its a 20 Gallon long. Both parents are about 3 inches long.

I have never read anything about "good" convict parents turning on each other. I have read that if they loose there fry, one parent could blame the other for the loss and attack, but this isn't like that. They got tons of fry in there with them!:-/

Anyways, what do you all think is going on? What should I do?

2. Click Here!

3. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Yeah, I had that happen to mine too. The male ended up killing the female. Nasty little pieces of work.

I'd say you have to get the male out of there asap.

4. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Dang that is crazy. With mine, its the female kicking the males butt! He is bigger, but she has his right eye messed up and several lacerations on his face.

Its crazy, they are staying separated for the most part except for these battles that take place about every 3 minutes or so.. The Male has 3 babies that follow him and stay at his side. The Female at the opposite end has the rest of the batch of babies at her side. Its like they are all so confused!:(

Attached Files:

5. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Please excuse all the Diatoms Algae HAHA::) These poor guys haven't been getting much "tank" attention recently do to my 29 to 55G Reef upgrade/move.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  6. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

You could get a breeder/isolation box until you figure out what to do

7. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Thats the best idea I have heard! I cant believe I didn't think of that. I walk past them at the LFS all the time. That is what I am going to do asap. Thanks :)

8. Click Here!

9. ZC42

Haha no problem! I just brought mine back from the garage to house my Molly babies in. Oh and just a quick tip- don't fill water level all the way up to the top because then the fish can jump out but I guess that wouldn't happen with an adult cichlid. (my first batch of fry escaped that way- I had to catch them all over again!)

10. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Ahh jeez man that sucks!

My first batch of Convict Fry ended up getting sucked up the filter! Classic beginners mistake...

There should be a thread dedicated to peoples stories called

"1st batch of fry experiances gone bad!" haha ;D:cry:
    (everything from Kamikaze's To Cannabalism)

11. ZC42

I'm pretty sure some of mine ate each other too... I mean I had 12, but found one dead and only let 8 back out....

12. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

We ended up just leaving him in there, though I did pick up a breeder box.

They are getting along just fine now lol SO werid.

There just like people, she probably caught him looking at another fish:eek: HAHA