Converting DIY LEDs to Full Spectrum Fixture

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Blarghensplargh, Aug 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blarghensplargh

Blarghensplargh Astrea Snail

Currently over my 75 gallons tank I have an LED light that I ordered from some guy at a shop in PA that pretty much makes DIY light fixtures (I'm pretty sure the parts are from aquastyles.com) and then sells them. The lights, though somewhat poorly constructed and crude, do their job and illuminate the tank. The problem is I'm worried that's all they're doing. My zoanthids and miliporas are growing fairly fast, but perhaps not fast enough, and I feel coral coloration could be better. Furthermore, I've had this tank going for over a year and a half and I've only had coralline algae come up in small areas throughout the tank. My magnesium and calcium levels are always on the low side (working on that), but still.

The main downside is that the this light only utilizes two different colors of LEDs. It has a total of 66 LEDs (28 white, 38 royal blue). What occurred to to me is that, given this light's simple wiring job, and despite my extremely limited soldering experience, I could just swap out some of the white and RB LEDs with other colors such as red, green, warm white, pink, cyan, violet, UV, and regular blue, and essentially upgrade the fixture.

The blue and white lights are on separate dimmers, but with only two available dimmers I wouldn't be able to adjust each color and would probably just end up putting the whites, reds, greens, pinks, and cyan on one dimmer and the blues, violets, and UVs on the other dimmer. I would be running the first set of lights from around noon until 6 and the other dimmer would run from around 10 am until 8 pm.

How does 6 10k whites, 4 pinks, 6 6.5k whites, 4 reds, 4 greens, 4 cyans, 22 royal blues, 6 blues, 6 violets, and 4 UVs sound?

Finally, I realize that the topic of wether or not a full spectrum of LEDs is necessary or even beneficial is debatable, and therefore, would this project even be worth the time and money? Would it really make the tank look much better and make its photosynthetic life more healthy to these extra colors?

2. Click Here!

3. Blarghensplargh

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

1. Aquasytyle's parts are mediocre compared to parts from ledgroupbuy, stevesleds, rapidleds.
    2. Most "exotic" led colors are ran at lower currents than whites and blues
    3. Upgrade the whites to neutral white, 4.5-5K, then use RB, CB, cyan, Deep red or Warm white, true violet (No UV) for spectrum
    The extra colors will help corals grow, give better color, and make the tank look better (CW and RB give a flat, super blue look to me most of the time)
    Do 14 NW, 28 RB, 7 CB, 7 TV, 4 DR, 4 cyan, try to use 1 Driver for the whites, 1-2 for the RB, 1 for the CB and cyan, one for the others. I'm not that good with drivers though...

5. Blarghensplargh

So essentially I wouldn't be able to just use the drivers that are already on the light to run the different colors?

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

That depends.....

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

do use the same drivers for everything either means you lose customization and you waste alot of money buying more LEDs then you need. Most white have a higher amperage then colored LED sometimes twice as much, so to use them all on the same drivers you need to run to the lowest common denominator therefor PROBABLY requiring more white leds.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

There's this seller on eBay by the name of Joy-Deal. All they sell us LEDs of whatever type. I've been using them the latest and the quality is pretty good. The lens on the LED is the soft quality type and not the brittle hard plastic type on the diode. So far I only had one LED fail on me out of 35 and that was because of my wiring that I shorted it out. For 10 bucks and free shipping you can get 10 3w bulbs you choose from what NM color you want. And play around with the full spectrum layout you want to achieve.