Convert from live sand to crushed coral?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Stammer, Jan 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I hate how dirty my live sand bed always appears. It is especially algae prone, which also makes vacuuming it tough. Could I gradually switch to a crushed coral bed without difficulty? I have a small formation of live rock with some small coral plugs and mushrooms.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Can I ask why you want to switch to crushed coral? Is it just the cleaning of it? Cause crushed coral doesnt do the best for some fish species.

4. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I used to have the tank as a freshwater Cichlid tank with sand. I vaccumed regulary and also had algae eaters sometimes in the tank. My tank was always clean. Now as a saltwater tank it gets algae quickly and I asume that by scraping and vacuuming the live sand bed I am loosing the"live" part of the sand bed in addition to some of the expensive live sand each time I vacuum.

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

What kind of cleanup crew do you have in your tank? That might be the issue.

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Crushed coral isn't going to be any better, and will likely be worse as it holds more detritus. You need to get a clean up crew, maybe a fighting conch (that's what's worked best for us) and find out why you have an algae issue.