Controlled Plenum Wasting

Discussion in 'Sand' started by dx7fd2, Jun 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

First I've heard of it.

Seems like a lot of work with some major flood potential, but I could see it being nice to 'flush' the tank now and then.

I think it would be easier to use a gravel siphon vac if you are worried about build up - but whatever floats your boat!

You going to do it?

(Wish he had pics of the setup. )

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I am waiting for some info from the author, Matt. It does sound like it might add some longevity into the scheme of things.

The concept makes sense to me..but that doesn't mean I can make it work. ;)

Thanks for the quick response ... I'll post on any progress!! :) Hopefully some pics or diagrams.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

A remote disconnectable refugium/plenum would give you the option to ultimately export all that stuff on an as needed basis. That combined with a bare botttom tank would certainly eliminate the majority of detritus and phosphates.

6. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Did someone open up a can of worms here or what? If you go over to REEFCENTRAL (I know, I know...) you will find a huge thread on this idea http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289910
    BTW, the author didn't seem to take the criticism very well so he left. He took everything with him, his photo gallery everything. You wont find anything other than what the members wrote.
    HTH. :-/

phil
    P.S. If the link doesn't work-goto forms/advanced topic/DSB Heresy

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I haven't read the whole thread yet. However, sulphide zones are very dangerous and prevent us from doing the necessary maintenance needed to lengthen the life of our sandbed. His idea has merit IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Yeah, cannon, that is the same article I found at coralforum, followed by numerous posts and replies. ;) One of the repliers came up with the idea of running tubing from under the plenum up through what would usually be considered the up pipe in an UGF, joining them together and draining some of the fluid out that way...I am seriously thinking about this method. My tank is not yet set up so I can try anything. Also it seems like it could't hurt anything.

I didn't realize the author posted on the other forum and subsequently removed himself. I guess this is on e of those topics that still raises the hackles on peoples necks. [smiley=argue.gif]

IMHO, the system is easy enough to try and it might lengthen the time that a DSB/Plenum sandbed can function efficiently. [smiley=cool4.gif]

10. cannon2222

When the author started out, he was taking about a pint of waste every eight hours and dump it down the drain. He would replace the waste with new water and added a couple of teaspoons of salt to make up the difference. I mean if you do that every day you'll end up doing a 70-80 gal water change every month :eek:. With so much water being dumped, your water should have good parameters. But from my understanding, the key question(s) is how much water to remove and how much? I'm like you in many ways...I to am working on a new tank; also the idea does have its merits, if some of the questions are answered. This may be a case of only time will tell. :-/

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't know the answer to your question. I think that people need to realize that sand beds work AWESOME temporarily. It might be 6 months or it might be 5 years. However, they are merely nutrient sinks and they eventually fill up. It's not a prob as long as people don't think they last forever like people originally thought.

We are not replicating the ocean. An ocean has hurricanes, upwellings, tides, etc. We are doing our best though. When dealing with closed systems, always remember..what goes into your tank..typically stays in your tank.

12. cannon2222

I don't think anybody knows yet. :huh: You are absolutely right when you say they work great temporarily. When more and more people start to use this system, we will then discover the pros and cons of it. I am of the consensus that if it removes waste from the tank, then it's good. I can remember when a lot of people thought protein skimming was a gimmick, now you wouldn't be caught dead without one. IMO, I think it's a good idea. When I'm ready to put everything together, I might use it. Couldn't hurt, right?

phil