Contemplating putting my 40b frag tank in my 180 DT stand, or the basement sump room?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Aug 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I've seen nice stand builds, where a smaller tank was put in the stand as part of the display.
    I've seen really nice refugiums as part of the display also.

I'm thinking about doing something like this, for my frag/grow out tank.
    I was going to just put it inline in the basement, prior to the water fllowing to the sump.

I could put one of the lines from my herbie/bean animal to the frag tank in the stand, which is drilled and would then go to the sump; and one to the sump.

I would probably put this behind a door, or removeable panel.

If I put the 40b under the stand with it's own light, I would not have to figure out how and where I'm going to incorporate the 40 into my basement sump area.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think that sounds like a good plan Todd. This would give you access to seeing it right there with your tank vs. having it in a separate area of the house. Just my .02.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I agree, I think I may like it better in the stand and displaying the Frag tank by opening a door or panel, vs. going to the basement sump room area just to see the frag tank.

Anhyone else?

5. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Man I envy a lot of you guys with basements!
    I like the idea as well of having refugiums as displays it just adds and extra bit of flare.

If I understand you right, you would have a display tank then under or to the side you would have your Frag tank. All would be flowing into your sump which is housed in your basement.
    If that’s the case I think it sounds great.

Heck if I was you I would try to build something like a small stable desktop table and use the lower station as a fragging station. Given you have gotten the nod or want to.
    Lower station could hold all your tools in a drawer and a thin strip of plastic cutting board. So you can envision your frag tank eye level as your sitting down working.