connecting two tanks to one sump

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by b3h0ldrc, Sep 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. b3h0ldrc

b3h0ldrc Plankton

I am currently running two tanks and trying to keep the same water parameters for both tanks the same. I also want to do a diy, submerged small rubble sump that I want to run the heaters and what not in. I am trying to run my 80 gal to --> my 55 gal to --> the sump back to --> the 80 gal. I am trying to do this in order to help with keeping both tanks stable as well as keeping all equipment in one sump, instead of having double of everything (heaters, sump, pumps... etc)... I am going to be using a pvc overflow set up. What I had planned was to have an overflow from the 80 gal, move water to the 55. From the 55 gal run another overflow into a sump. I want to use one sump, one pump for both tanks and figured this was the most feasible option. Would this idea work, in your experience or opinion? Also I am trying to have a flow rate of 1200 gph - 1500 gph... In case I do use two pumps just to keep up with increased water flow, is it better to just hook up both tanks with separate overflows and returns from the same sump (using individual pumps). Would using 1.5" diameter pvc be enough? (I could experiment, but I am trying to keep costs low, so doing everything once is something I am hoping for). Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time, apologies for the long winded post. BTW I will update as needed as I hadn’t seen anything like this online (per my research)... In case you are wondering, this is for FW AFRICANS, LIGHTLY PLANTED...Thank you,

Ramon C.

ps...
    I am looking at using http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=1071 these pumps... I was comparing the wattage to flow rates, and these seem to provide the best flow rate for the wattage used, 2000gph @ 120 watts (2 pumps) with 1500gph @ 163 watts (single, larger pump) comparably. Buying two pumps would also be cheaper than buying the 1500gph model. )

2. Click Here!

3. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

my lfs uses a system where there are 3 tanks stacked virtically
    the top over flows to the middle and the middle over flows to the sump and the water is returned to the top but they also use drilled tanks for it, it works fine for them

4. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I would do the plumbing a bit differently. I dont really want water flowing from one tank into another and then into a sump.

I would have the pump return split with gate valves and sent to both tanks seperately. Then the returns would both be seperate as well probably down to the sump but if they are close enough I would combine the returns once the water have drained out of the tanks. Please use valves at every possible place you need to turn off water or control flow. One valve on each tank side of the T and one from each overflow before they get combined together.

You need to be able to turn off water completely to just one tank without killing flow to the other one.

[​IMG]

5. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

the problem with the above IMO is yer always gonna be adjusting the gate valves to get the over flows equal meaning theres higher risk to flood yer floors not saying yer wrong and it wont work but i think the risks are higher working this way :)

6. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

You could seperate the plumbing all the way back to the sump if you want but as long as the drain is faster then the max return you should not have to worry about the gate valves much.

7. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I have two tank connected together flowing into a sump with no problems. DT is bigger than second tank, the DT overflows into second tank which overflows into the sump below the DT in the DT cabinet and is then pumped to the DT.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

10. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

11. b3h0ldrc

b3h0ldrc Plankton

getting started...

Moving water from one tank to another was never really an isue for me and I dont mind not being able to shut off just one specific system., I figured it will all go to the same pump, this being the most simple set up, that required the least amount of work. Being that, I will only work with one pump, one return, one intake. I have only spent about $15 and I will be borrowing a pump so cost hasnt been much of an issue. If its not what I expected, I'll scrap it and go another route. I might actually do an aquaponics tray set up above my 55 gallon. Also I was going to be using filter socks, at the end of each overflow, in order to filter out all the junk before the water hit the sump. I've already started cutting the pvc pieces, but found out too late my pvc glue dried up already, so I am waiting til tomorrow to finish (unless anyone knows of a 24 hr HD or Lowes, lol). For the most part I think I have everything figured out, lol i'll see if I end up with a flooded floor! Any opinions or ideas are appreciated, thank you. I am not planning on having the sump hold too much water when the system isnt running.

Ramon C.