Confused about my Berlin Red Sea Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by lmr2o, Oct 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Sorry theres so many pictures I thought it might help.

I got this skimmer with the tank I bought, and I'm really unsure what all these parts on it do. Can someone help me out to make sure I have it installed right

Heres a shot of the whole skimmer. The hose confuses me (the waste collection pipe?), I'm not sure if it should be going into something? What is its purpose?

[​IMG]

Here is a closer look. I'm also unsure about the two things coming up from either end are for?
    And the white thing on the side with a hole (it unscrews)

[​IMG]

And on the base of the skimmer, this white pin (is this the venturi key?) is screwed in and im pretty sure glued into that hole (the air inlet?)
    [​IMG]

and finally a picture of the manual
    [​IMG]

It looks like i'm missing the air pipe? I have some flexible hose (not pictured)

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

there were also two air pumps in the box of stuff he gave me with the tank.. these don't have any use with this skimmer do they? (I'm so new to all this equipment lol)

[​IMG]

4. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

OK, I have one of these. The little tube is for a drain, the waste will drain into it.. I took a Pepsi bottle and put a hole in the top, then put the tube in it, then you just empty the bottle.

the little white screw. Put a piece of air line tube onto the end of the pump on the adjuster knob. then run the tube through the little hole in front of the screw. As you tighten the screw it reduces the amount of air the skimmer gets. That's probably why the air pump was included.

The two white tubes are the outlet. It makes it to where you can keep the skimmer out of the sump

1 person likes this.
  5. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

here's mine

Attached Files:

6. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

thank you so much! I didn't know that tube was a drain for waste that helps a lot.

I've seen the skimmer pumps have tubes come out of them, however mine doesn't have a hole for it
    [​IMG]

So if i put a tube in the air pump I have, and run that through the hole with the screw, does it then go anywhere? like in one of the two knobs at the top? heres what I have so far let me know if it looks right
    [​IMG]

7. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

still not sure what these are for.. maybe the air hose should be plugged into those?

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I believe you plug the airline tube in it. I didn't use them because my skimmer pump had a nipple on the adjuster knob. But, I see yours doesn't.

10. h20seeker

h20seeker Plankton

confused hope this isnt too late

Hope this isn't too late. The hose connections you have circled are air intakes. All that was connected to this was a piece of air tubing about 2 - 3 inches long. you do not need an air pump. The "air pipe" is just air tubing from under the two air intakes (water outlets) goes into the venturi at water intake on bottom where you connect the pump.
    Also when doing anything with pumps keep in mind effeciency goes with straight piping. Every bend, every 90 degree elbow you are losing effeciency. In other words use as straight plumbing as possible and limit the amount of twist and turns.
    What I also did notice, and this implies to all the haters on this skimmer, is that your pump is too small to run this effeciently. Will it work.. yes. Originally this skimmer was recommended to run on a high powered pump that handles back pressure. I used a Iwaki 20 rlt which seems like over kill but made this skimmer rock!. This skimmer worked so well in a couple days there was usually nothing left to skim.
    I see time and time again people claiming this is a terrible skimmer and they are completely wrong. I can almost guarantee you its because of insufficant pump as to why they failed. For it's time this was best skimmer on market. If you look at the technology of the triple bypass it is actually very good. Problem was the venturi (air intake) and the requirement for such a large pump which made it noisey. Are the new skimmers better... yes but not worth 1500 dollars.. that is a joke.
    If you have anymore questions I still have this skimmer [ actually used it and the pump for only a month it was too noisy for my bedroom ]

1 person likes this.
  11. h20seeker

h20seeker Plankton

I also noticed the white plug. The plug is in the "venturi" or air intake. I would say the person took out the air inlets which you are asking and made a modification with another homemade venturi system. In my opinion I would recommend that you go this route and find a suitable venturi for this setup as the original isnt that good. Seems with your pump and since they started it try and find a venturi that fits

12. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Thanks a lot for the info! You seem to really know this skimmer well. I bought a new skimmer since this post but still have the berlin in the basement. It's nice to know how all the parts work incase I sell it or ever use it again, I appreciate you taking the time