Confused about GSP

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jeremy79, Jun 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeremy79

jeremy79 Astrea Snail

Hey eveyone. I have a question to ask if anyone would know the answer. Before that, all my tank specifics are good, just checked them and they have been stable. I also have star polyps that are doing great, alond w/ 2 mushrooms. I recently bought a green star polyp and when I got it home, put it into tank, and didnt come out. I know that they are somewhat shy so I gave it a few days, 4 to be exact. Still nothing, so I moved it around the tank through out the week, waiting a couple days between each move and still no sign of life. The mat is purple, but I have noticed this clearish looking areas on the mat. Today, I noticed a small part of the mat was flapping around so I went to pull it, just to see, and it crumbled like a dry leaf. Is that normal? These very small red spikey things have also started to grow out of the mat. Just wondering if its completely gone? My LFS person was no help what so ever :(. If you guys would like pics, let me know, waiting on camera batteries to charge up! Thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

pics would help a bunch

4. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

It is most likely gone. I have GSP both a basket and a tube style and they took a few days to open up. and then they grew like crazy.

5. jeremy79

jeremy79 Astrea Snail

Ok as I was taking pics, there are these little clear bugs on it. Are those pods? they kinda looked like small potato bugs sorta

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Which kind of potato bug? The rolly polly kind? or the kind that looks like a cricket?

7. jeremy79

jeremy79 Astrea Snail

the rolly polly one lol

8. Click Here!

9. jeremy79

jeremy79 Astrea Snail

cant find my USB to post a pic. Pretty sure my coral is dead or dying. Not sure what a dead coral looks like though since this would be the 1st death. All I know is that the purple parts are detaching from the rock and crumbles

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Copepods more then likely. They might be irritaing the GSP.

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I've had portions of my GSP go the fade and crumble route, but remnants of the colony have always survived. When you bought the frag, was it already attached to some live rock? I'd say just leave it and see if it eventually perks back up. Unless some one out there knows about any nasty stuff a failing GSP colony can put out into the tank......

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I have noticed that my LFS often gets in GSP that does not survive long...they may not handle shipping well, or need extra special acclimation attention. :-/