Confused about cycling....

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by star_wolf_us, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. star_wolf_us

star_wolf_us Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok... I've had my live rock curing since Monday morning. Last night I finally topped off the tank and sump and powered up the return pump and skimmer. I checked the water params today and Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all showing 0. There's no way the cycle could be done already is there? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

star wolf us
    its much more likely is that it has not even started yet IMO

Steve

4. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Probably not. Probably hasn't started yet. My advice...Go get some starting bacteria from the LFS and and dump it in there. Tank should cycle in a week or 2 after that. You could also throw in some dead shrimp. I've had better results with the bacteria though.

5. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Yeah...probably hasn't even started yet...

6. star_wolf_us

Should I think about putting a piece of shrimp in the tank to get it cycling?

7. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Yes you can drop a fresh shrimp in there.. and well kick back and be patient..

You are now in the phase of goin stir crazy because you wanna add things and well your cycle has not begun yet...

Take it slow...

BEst of Luck...

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

star wolf us

there are 3 different approaches ( maybe more, but I know 3)

1 - cycling using live rock- the die off from the rock will generate food that will cause bacteria to develop

2- cycling using alternative source of food for bacteria - dead prawn/ bit of fish etc

3 - cycling using a fish that is tolerant of the spikes associated with the cycling process

in tanks over 30 gallons - I use option 3
    in tanks under 30 gallons - option 1 or 2 are both effective

if you used base rock - then you would need a source to generate bacteria, such as the decaying prawn

when using live rock, you dont have to IMO - it happens due to the curing/ die off process

even so , when your levels spike and then drop - make sure you 1st fish introduction is a very hardy species , as the bacteria that you have may not be adequate immediately to process the fishes wastes- it multiplies quickly , but better to go with a hardy fish anyway IME

you could used bottled bacteria product , but IME , nature works anyway

the longer you take to set up and stock your tank
    the less problems you will have with it in the long run IM (at times painfull) E

Steve

10. star_wolf_us

Ok cool. I have a few options. The guy that gave me the water and rock is going to give me a damsel to put in my tank to get it started. Does it sound like now would be a good time to add it? Second I have some shrimp in the freezer, and third is that I will be going to Des Moines today so I could stop in the LFS and pick up a bottle of bacteria. Does it sound too early to throw a Damsel in there?

11. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

I would toss only fresh shrimp in your tank.. because all the bactieria on the frozen would have died off, that in it's Mudd vien...

I would not recomend tossing the damsel in your tank.. Even if it survives the Cycle later in the tanks life that Damsel will end up being one mean SOB and you will want to get rid of it anyways...

The bottle of bacteria is a good choice....

Best of luck...

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

The shrimp is not for the bacteria. It's purpose is to start decaying and provide a source of ammonia. This is what starts the cycle. You really don't have to add any bacteria if you don't want to. The bacteria needed is everywhere, in the air, on surfaces. Just needs to colonize your tank.